Jobs in the aviation industry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jobs in the aviation industry

I'm a Dutch Aerospace Engineering graduate and recently relocated to HK to explore job opportunities in the aviation sector in the Greater China region. I'm interested in whether there are any people with a similar background who have successfully pursued job opportunities here (and maybe have some useful advice to share?).
    I've been having a hard time finding interesting opportunities (engineering, planning, operations) and am broadening my search to include general logistics as well.
    I really appreciate any helpful advice.

No experience? No Chinese? No visa? No chance, I would say.

I'm proficient in both Mandarin and Korean. Have done industry internships in The Netherlands and Korea and currently working part time for a aviation consulting firm. No visa though.

Quote Originally Posted by hwesseling:
    I'm proficient in both Mandarin and Korean. Have done industry internships in The Netherlands and Korea and currently working part time for a aviation consulting firm. No visa though.
    Let me get this right.....you're working here without a visa?

I'm not working here in HK. Am visiting as a tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by hwesseling:
    OK - fair enough. Some chance then. But even then, the most common way for people to come here as an expat (excluding English teachers) is on an internal transfer with a multinational from another country (normally their home one). Do you not have options down that route? A year for, say, Airbus, in Europe then transfer out to Asia?

How about Airport Authority, the maintenance firms, various airlines etc etc? I'd have thought pretty much everyone would have a significant presence in HK given the amount of pax and cargo that go through CLK.

PDLM - I'm surprised that you mentioned "no canto, no mandarin" .. of all the industries, given the technical nature, this would be a very English driven profession. Do Airbus / Boeing produce chinese manuals? I'd think not given the precision required in translating technical materials...

Perhaps the mechanics would need canto here in HK, but I suspect engineering grads are used on planning, operations etc etc .. where english might just be the language of choice.

I meant to to have a logical AND in there. Sure with experience Chinese isn't an issue - I know someone who worked for Rolls Royce in the UK and then transferred over to work within Cathay (one of RR's bigger customers) who has no Chinese. But he needed to have a few years experience in the UK before that became possible.

Looks like they do need canto .. wonder if its a political requirement of sorts.

http://203.198.193.44:9009/HXPRO/HXH...ref=GT/WS/0109

PDLM - Looks like a fair number of the entry level jobs do need Canto...

Haeco, Airport Authority etc seem to also need resident status.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast