Jobs for Speech Therapists?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by sinseir:
    250000 British passport holeders in hong kong. SCMP
    This means nothing. The UK government gives out British passports to just about anyone (including the odd wanted terrorist). You don't need to speak a word of English to hold one.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty:
    Well, you can type numbers all day long and tell me what you think you know about an industry that you clearly have no idea about.
    Indeed - don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument eh?

The vast majority of ESF pupils are not native English speakers. If there's a market for giving therapy to kids in their second or third languages then obviously the figures I quoted are not relevant to that, but it would really surprise me if native Cantonese speaking kids with dodgy English (let's not pretend that these kids are very fluent, never mind close to native) would take speech therapy in English rather than Cantonese.

It is frankly amazing that the human race has survived as long as it has without all these new "industries" (your word, and well-chosen I thought). So many kids today have problems that nobody was even aware of until a few years ago.
    Last edited by PDLM; 05-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Claire - I totally agree that there are lots and lots of students who speak English as second/additional language but that doesn't mean that they don't seek speech and language therapy in English. For example, there is exactly one retired Japanese speech and language therapist in HK according to my own contacts. So if your child speaks Japanese and English and has problems, you have therapy in English. Not perfect, but that's the reality. I can't imagine that there are many Korean, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Thai etc. therapists here either. It's Canto or English and international school families tend to pick English.

Also, there are small proportions of local Cantonese speakers who seek English therapy and do have a choice. But I would say on most private Native English therapists' caseloads, this would be under 10%.

Next your going to tell me that Autism is a made up condition for children with bad behaviour like that ignoramous DJ in the states.

The "Industry" that I refer to is Health Care!

I suppose physiotherapists and occupational therapists are on the game too?

The medical industry seems to want to establish some sort of "ideal person" towards which all parents should aspire for their children to develop, and which will, of course, involve them passing large amounts of money to the "medical industry". Variance in behaviour and attributes between children is only tolerated within a very narrow range - anything outside that is deemed abnormal and a cause for more payments to be made to the medical industry.

Clearly any industry where the revenues and profits of the practitioners are driven by diagnoses which they themselves make and which cannot be measured in any objective way (as is the case with autism and similar "disorders") is highly suspect. It is stuff like this (along with "cover your arse" testing, and very aggressive and expensive procedures to minimally extend the life of terminally ill people) that has got the whole US economy in an utter mess of the cost of its "health care".

I would suggest that you seek a consultation with a speech therapist since you seem to communicate out of the wrong orafice. I know one who will be moving from the states soon. I'll put you in touch.

Honestly, I refuse to be suckered in by your moronic ramblings PMLD. If I thought for a moment that you wanted to discuss this issue for real, I'd go at it all night. But you're a troll, so I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    This means nothing. The UK government gives out British passports to just about anyone (including the odd wanted terrorist). You don't need to speak a word of English to hold one.
    This comment means nothing, what has this got to do with UK passport holders in HK? None of them speek english or are terrorists or both?

Ah - the ad hominem attack - the standard get out for people who have no case. But don't worry, there are plenty of fools around that you will continue to be able to separate from their hard-earned cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You don't need to speak a word of English to hold one.
    Er, that's simply not true for applications made these days (unless you speak Welsh or Scots Gaelic).

Plenty of English speaking fools, I think you mean.