New job No sick leave pay:(

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry New job No sick leave pay:(

I Have been working with a new employer for just over a month now, took my 1st day sick leave and then found out that i will not be compensated for that day or the $200 i paid the doctor to prove i was sick. My boss is quoting the labour dept, saying i am only entitled to sick leave if it is more than 4 consecutive days... is this correct?

Surely it would depend on your working agreement as well / contract or permanent staff? Any more details?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Here is the information from Labour Department.
    http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/...seGuide/05.pdf

Hope you're feeling better.

As the document Claire linked points out, legally the employer is correct. Good employers have better terms than the bare legal minimum. You should have discussed this as part of the recruitment process to determine whether the terms on offer were acceptable to you.

And even if you are eligible for sick leave allowance, that is still different to additional staff benefits such as medical and dental insurance which allows you to claim against expenses incurred.

If I was the employer and you had taken sick leave so early, I would be feeling sick too!

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

Correct

Yes technically correct but usually employers will contract for better terms than that. Very harsh but correct.

i only took sick leave because i was going to be about an hr late for work, and they fine me 100hk dollars for every 15mins im late

Quote Originally Posted by rocky22:
    i only took sick leave because i was going to be about an hr late for work, and they fine me 100hk dollars for every 15mins im late
    So you not only want to save HKD 400 for being late (which I assume is your fault to begin with) but also make the employer pay you a day's salary for being absent from work without valid reason. You are a great employee to have.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky22:
    holy crap what kind of job is this. $100 for every 15 mins late. sounds like a loan shark co

Get a better job

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast