Risk Mangement Positions in HK

Closed Thread

Risk Mangement Positions in HK

Hi, I just returned from New York City working 5 years in Risk Management for a large sized hedge fund. Look for something similar out here or potentially in a risk department of a major investment bank. Besides looking on jobsdb, efinancialcareers etc anyone know of any good hedge fund/finance recruiters? Any leads or advice? Thanks!

Well, I just saw this Risk Management company posting an ad:

Manager Education - China - Hong Kong - JobsDB.com

I'm not sure if that's something you would be interested in, but here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by wandoubaby:
    Well, I just saw this Risk Management company posting an ad:

Manager Education - China - Hong Kong - JobsDB.com

I'm not sure if that's something you would be interested in, but here it is.
    I appreciate the find but that's job is not related to my field. I believe the company that posted it has the 3 words "Leadership", "Risk" and "Management" under it's company name and is't a "risk management" company. My concentration is mainly portfolio risk management.
    Last edited by big_apple_ken; 16-06-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    I appreciate the find but that's job is not related to my field. I believe the company that posted it has the 3 words "Leadership", "Risk" and "Management" under it's company name and is't a "risk management" company. My concentration is mainly portfolio risk management.

Oops... my apology.

The best way to learn up position coming up in the pipeline at various companies is to network at various professional events. The chamber of commerce's here in Hong Kong do a great job of doing this and a few chambers will allow you to set in for free / non-membership on a committee meeting before being asked to join.

Of course you need to always have a business card in hand stating your contact information and name. You need to offer a business card in order to receive one so give them out freely

Also have noticed headhunters have their researched using LinkedIn more and more these days - so be sure you have a profile with key words relevant to your profession/desired profession.

Best of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    The best way to learn up position coming up in the pipeline at various companies is to network at various professional events. The chamber of commerce's here in Hong Kong do a great job of doing this and a few chambers will allow you to set in for free / non-membership on a committee meeting before being asked to join.

Of course you need to always have a business card in hand stating your contact information and name. You need to offer a business card in order to receive one so give them out freely

Also have noticed headhunters have their researched using LinkedIn more and more these days - so be sure you have a profile with key words relevant to your profession/desired profession.

Best of Luck!
    Interesting. Never really thought about going to Chamber of Commerce events to get the word out. That's actually a somewhat creative approach. Getting business cards done will be pretty easy.

My mom was a former headhunter of one of the largest American headhunting firms so pretty much my resume has gone to all of them. Will look into creating a LinkedIn profile. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by big_apple_ken:
    My mom was a former headhunter of one of the largest American headhunting firms so pretty much my resume has gone to all of them. Will look into creating a LinkedIn profile. Thanks!
    Suggest that you come you think of LinkedIn as a platform to manage contacts you meet when networking. Be sure to use key words and phrases from you profession as search on LinkedIn is like surfing the net. Be sure to join a few of the LinkedIn Groups to advance exposure. When you meet someone see if the have a LinkedIn account then if they do send a "Nice to meet you e-mail ... would be great to continue our discussion" via the invitation "add to network" on LinkedIn as 8 out 0f 10 times they will accept you to their network.

Think multifront approach as it can get you further and more exposure. Never assume that just because your resume has gone out to firms that the have uplaoded and added to their international database or that the research staff or other personnel have had sight of it.

In case you are not aware the next hiring cycle starts the last week Aug/early Sept. so between now and then get exposure and networked, lay the ground work, be sure to follow up and not lose touch with key contacts you make. People come and go during the summer and do tend to forget as out of sight = out of mind be sure to stay in sight (on the radar) of key conatcts you make or in the sight of key gatekeepers (those how are one step removed from key contacts/decision makers). Away into a company is not necssarily through the HR department or even the front door.