Foreign domestic helpers HELP!

Closed Thread

Foreign domestic helpers HELP!

I am a third year student studying at University College London. I study Anthropology and Geography and for my dissertation I was wondering if anyone could give me a little help. The topic I have chosen is:
    Live-in domestic workers and their impact on the 'family'.
    My aims are:
    1. How does ethnicity impact on assimilation into the employer's family.
    2. Are domestics with little social capital more dependent on their employer's family?
    3. How are social relationships expressed spatially?
    If anyone has any opinions on these questions I would appreciate it if they could give me a reply. Thanks!

I think you may need to explain the jargon you are using...

What is "social capital"? And what on earth does expressing a relationship spatially mean?

I apologise! By social capital I mean friends and family who are also in HK. As for my third aim I just want to know more about the movements a domestic worker has in the house and in public space. Does he/she have a private space in the house, and if there are areas that are out of bound in the house for her/him.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Oh for a moment I thought it was academicspeak for whether they'd snuggle up close, be in your face, or keep at arm's length!

Ying,
    I think you need to be a bit more specific about your questions for them to be of any use for a dissertation, unless you just want some 'sound bite' annecdotal evidence. You might want to consider putting together a questionnaire. Just a thought.

Jools