Australian Graphic Designer looking for a job..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes - there have been a number of reports here of people being given 14 days to leave after being caught doing visa runs to reside here illegally.

Residing in Hong Kong without a valid visa is illegal (whether you are working or not). The OP is clearly an illegal immigrant by his own admission ("I moved here").

Although looking at the OP's post again, as a 25yo Australian he could live and work here legally simply by applying for a Working Holiday Visa.

Last edited by PDLM; 16-07-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesii:
    Actually its legal. I'll explain why.

If the income comes to your Australian account, you will be charged tax as an Australian citizen. Same applies if you work for a company in HK for a month's work, but your salary is paid to your Australian account.

If the money doesn't touch HK, then the money wasn't earned or made in HK. If the clients are not from HK (and 98% are not from HK) then no need to inform the authorities.

The key is "working" in HK. Since the work you are doing is for client's outside HK, you are not "working" in HK.

If you are being paid a HK wage then yes you are breaking the law.

But if your logic was correct, then HK could arrest every single consultant, employee who comes to HK even for 1 day from their home country - even if it was for 1 meeting.
    Illegal or not, it makes no commercial sense to base yourself here and charge in Australia. Let me explain why.

Assuming you work from home in Hong Kong as a contractor, but are an Australian citizen.

You have two choices. You can either be a resident for tax purposes in Australia, or a non-resident. A non-resident does not pay tax on income derived outside of Australia. Either way, you are up for paying somewhere between 25-35% of your income in tax. So, instantly you are 10-20% worse off than you would be if you were paying tax in Hong Kong.

Also, if you are a contractor in Australia, you will have to be registered for GST. So you will have to charge 10% GST on your invoices to the companies that you are doing work for. You will need to lodge GST returns each quarter. You will have no GST deductions, since you are not purchasing anything inside Australia. So more red tape, less money.

Also, certain countries have withholding tax. So, if you are doing work for a company that is in a country that has withholding tax, they will withhold (say) 15% of any funds transferred overseas.

Yes, you will still earn money, but all of the above can cause headaches, and frankly are a PITA .....

Quote Originally Posted by jamesii:
    I would like to know if ANY has been in that situation at all. In HK chances are pretty slim I agree. In truth the HK govt doesn't know what you earn if you get cash, nor what anyone is actually doing in this city. It's the most carefree govt for that stuff in the world. Unlike Aust govt, they know how much you are making before you get your first paycheck....
    Well the only reason I even know of this 'SCL' stamp is because of a few people posting here saying they received it and don't know what to do so it does happen but how likely depends on your situation.

How long can Australians stay in HK without doing a visa run?

Ninety days. But they can't legally reside here for even one day without a visa permitting them to do so.

I agree with jamesii about most graphic designers here being terrible. I've noticed however, that there are an overwhelming number of ads from companies looking for graphic designers. My belief is that most are bad and most are also underpaid and overworked.

You may want to consider freelancing, even for a company overseas and work "from home", or from "another country" in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by chilicheese:
    I agree with jamesii about most graphic designers here being terrible. I've noticed however, that there are an overwhelming number of ads from companies looking for graphic designers. My belief is that most are bad and most are also underpaid and overworked.
    Yepp, and you will also note that most adds from certain companies keep repeating over and over with a few weeks/month intervals.

Some design companies in HK have HUGE staff turnover.

One if the major problems with HK design companies as i see it, is that they just fire and hire all the time.

The result is a cost for them in loss of skill set, clients who have to work with multiple project managers and designers on a single project, and designers who have to work on files that 1-5 other designers already worked on.

This in turn results in crappy work, poor work flow, long delivery times, and a bunch of designers who has bits and pieces of experience from multiple working environments but nothing really solid.

Also there is no difference in HK for a design house, and a production house.
    All of them call themselves design studios etc, but most are actually production houses.

Many companies don't have a proper work flow either, half of them don't even know the basics of marketing strategy.
    Project managers who don't ask the right questions, no creative briefs are made, advertising concepts are basically non existing and so on.

Result is bound to be of poor quality and won't communicate to the target audience.

I could go on, but i think everyone gets the point.
    There is a need for a fundamental change here in HK.

That's my professional view of the situation.
    /J

Vote for Change! Change we can believe in!
    I agree in the fact that working on somebody else's work is unproductive. Better to start from scratch.
    And changing jobs just for better pay is worse. You learn nothing. You've gotta weather the storm till you learn enough.
    A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Last edited by ronnie yeoh; 18-07-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Wow, thanks guys for all the info.. I have an online folio ryancoleman.carbonnade.com if you want to pass it round that'd be great..

So a nice little discussion on here. I was thinking if I can't find work I will see if it's legal to do freelance work via an online Australian freelance site.. Did we decide that it's legal to do that and get paid into my Aust account? I can't see why not.. So I am here on a visitors visa, doesn't stop me from
    applying for jobs and getting sponsored, I'm only breaking the law if I work without a work visa..

Not the biggest fan of working illegally..

I know i'll be paying Aust tax doing the online freelance, but if I can't work here it's really my only option.

Now I thought I couldn't get a work visa, but I see someone said I can apply for one? Is that right?

I have seen and applied for a few jobs I have seen online, so we'll see how we go.

Thanks for all your help and info

cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry, miss spell on the online folio

ryancoleman.carbonmade.com

cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device

Well to be honest from looking at your portfolio, i think your up against a lot of tough competition.

First thing you should correct is the CV, which is almost unreadable.
    And no offense but it also looks and feels very "cut n paste" from some online template.
    Rather than a low res bitmap image, I would suggest you attach a PDF that can be saved or printed.

As for the actual design work, the one that i feel was somewhat good was the Bakehouses.
    The rest felt like they could have used a few hours more.

Bottom line is, that you will have to shape up your production quality a lot to get a job here.
    From what i have seen so far it's just not up to standards of other designers that you will compete against in the market today.

I would be happy to point out some things that you should focus on polishing to stand a better chance landing a position.
    It will take time, but at least you would have somewhere to start.

Probably not what you hoped to hear, but it's the music all designers has faced at one point or another.

/Johan