Opinions about finding and obtaining Banking/Financial Related jobs in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the info on the typical recruiting habits of banks in that area. I plan on being one of those "Anglos that speak fluent Mandarin" =P I also plan on getting a dependent visa because my wife is a local of Hong Kong and just focus on certifications (registering for the CFA lvl 1 exam for this summer) and try to back it up with my GPA, I'm pretty sure all of that combined with all of my past experiences and extra cirricular activites relating to finance would help my application. Now it's just down to starting my network in hong kong (through HKSFA & HRs/Employees at various firms) and keeping a spreadsheet of firms of interest with recruiting dates/dead lines so I can stay on top of things.

Thanks all for the feedback.

P.S. I'm going to try to get another internship offer through Deutsche Bank over here in Jacksonville, Florida. I couldn't accept the internship this summer because of my summer class schedule.
    Through that I'm going to try to get in touch with some of the people in Hong Kong

I wouldnt' say you dont' have a shot with a top notch firm.. I know over a dozen people that are employed by big shot banks and they went to a state school. Luck and timing has a huge hand to play in it. Just get yourself out there, the CFA lv 1 will be nice and regardless of Cantonese in HK, Mandarin is more valuable by far.

HKNewbie2007,
    Thanks for the inspiring information, and I have been meaning to ask you how you started your career. I know that there are a lot of other banks/Asset Management firms in Hong Kong, the only problem I have is finding all of them. I have a list from the HKMA about some registered banks. That list contains probably only 50 or 60 in which not all of them have a graduate recruiting section or graduate positions posted. Does anyone have any resources they suggest that has a good list of small to large sized financial services firms it would be greatly appreciated.

The Mandarin Classes I will be taking will be through my university and the teacher is in fact Chinese himself so he should teach us more than just whats in the books.

Well, sorry to say man that I am not corporate, I tried my hardest to avoid it. I am involved in a proprietary trading firm, so I'm somewhat self employed for purposes of answering to no one besides my equals and for strategic trading purposes.

Otherwise, just go through with what you said you were going to do and get yourself out there and something will fall your way. I do have to agree that right now isn't the greatest time anywhere on the planet to 'stumble' upon a fantastic opportunity though, but that shouldnt' stop you from trying. I am going to take CFA level 1 also in December, let the headaches begin.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBlankenship:
    HKNewbie2007,
    Does anyone have any resources they suggest that has a good list of small to large sized financial services firms it would be greatly appreciated.
    The SFC's site is where you should be looking at (I'd be bit surprised if you haven't checked that out already, seeing that you've got yourself a list off the HKMA site..):

HKSFC - Public Registers of Licensed Persons

Bit of a pain to use cos it wouldn't just display a list of all asset managers in HK, so you'll just have to go through the alphabetical list.

Hope this helps.

thanks

ScotchDrinker,

Thanks for the link, i have checked out the SFC site but I think I've just looked in all the wrong problems. I will agree that trying to find a list of banks or something remotely close is like navigating through a maze.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBlankenship:
    Thanks for the info on the typical recruiting habits of banks in that area. I plan on being one of those "Anglos that speak fluent Mandarin"
    Be very careful asserting that you are fluent in Mandarin. My husband and his colleagues get numerous resumes from people in that US who claim to be fluent in Mandarin. He will conduct the interview in Mandarin and it often quickly becomes apparent that while conversational, the candidate cannot discuss financial matters with any degree of competence. Overstating language ability is a quick way to not get a callback. Better to just admit that you are conversational and still working on your skills, unless you are a native speaker (raised speaking) or very near.

Hi

Do you want to work in DB? They will accept trainees/interns for analysts in CF by September in HK. You may apply there.I doubt if they accept fresh graduates if you want to start the job straight away. It is always a part of recruitment due to sensitive company data.

K