NET Teacher Questions

NET Teacher Questions

I am currently working at an English Center in Hong Kong and am considering applying for a position as a NET for the 2010-2011 school year (as I am sure the applications are closed for this year already)

I am wondering what procedures I need to go through to apply for this as well as the typical salary package given to NETs.

Thanks a lot

I think from what I have heard about 11-14k a month. It depends on if you go through an agency, do chatteris do NET?

I thought it was more than that, they also give you housing too remember so your salary per month will stretch a lot more.

Look at this thread for more info

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread8835.html

I think bottom point on the pay scale is about $16,000 (maybe more now) - that's for a teacher with just a TEFL qualification and little teaching experience. You move up a point on the scale for every year of experience you have, but this must be proved with certificates of service from previous employers. You also get a $14,000 special allowance every month (for housing, etc) as long as you can prove you are an ex-pat just here for the job. You also get 15% (of your basic salary only) gratuity on completion of your 2-year contract and flights at the beginning and end of your contract.

From memory (which could well be wrong...!), closing date for applications is sometime in January for jobs starting mid-August. You'll be interviewed by a couple of people (usually someone from the EdB and a school principal) and then you're accepted (or not!) onto the scheme, which doesn't mean you actually have a job by the way. Your details are then sent to schools and if they're interested they'll get in touch with you directly. Can be months between being accepted onto the scheme and actually getting a job which can be a bit unnerving and I know people who have given up on it and continued working where they are rather than risk not having a job at all come September.

Check the EdB website - that'll have the application forms and closing date on.

Hope that helps...