A gripe about graduate jobs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I actually thought the starting salary for graduates was less, but maybe I'm confusing 'local' versus 'expat' graduates? Is there a difference?

(I heard $8k and how $15k is decent from local grads)

Is the career your in now ever going to be a job that pays what you want in HK? If not, maybe a change is needed?
    Or maybe you could do the same job abroad where it pays more to gain the experience and then later come back to HK with the ability to expect more?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Too many people out there ( whatever age ) thinking the world still owes them a living.
    I haven't read this thread properly... but saw this comment.

If we put time and hard work into something why shouldn't we receive "a living"? A high salary is another thing, but everyone should be able to make a basic living in return to their time and effort. Are you saying that people who work hard in third world countries and still live below the poverty line are not owed "a living"?
    Last edited by kryzlowski; 14-07-2009 at 11:44 PM.

No one can understand you which , for me at least , has led to me treating you to a dose of honesty.
    Ummm who doesn't understand what I have said? It seems most, actually even you have managed a response to my gibberish...

And someone worth the money would a) lay the full facts out in front. b) maybe indicate an age in your profile.
    As far as I was aware this is not the place to post my resume, with all my details for all to see, in fact that would really show how much I am worth, say if a boss came along and saw me bagging my job.

Here is an idea, prior to posting how about you think about what you are writing first before slating what others do and do not write.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    I actually thought the starting salary for graduates was less, but maybe I'm confusing 'local' versus 'expat' graduates? Is there a difference?

(I heard $8k and how $15k is decent from local grads)

Is the career your in now ever going to be a job that pays what you want in HK? If not, maybe a change is needed?
    Or maybe you could do the same job abroad where it pays more to gain the experience and then later come back to HK with the ability to expect more?
    The starting salary is around 9k-14k from most grads, both chinese and expats that I have come across. I am on local terms along with the majority, the only grads on expat salaries I know of are in banking and start from between 18-35k.

empee- 'fresh grad' positions are generally *known* to pay poorly in HK. The assumption is that kids just out of university still live with their parents and hence have little or no overheads. A lot of grads can view their entire salary as disposable income. A second reason that occurs to me is that graduates are likely to be less productive than their overseas (western) counterparts. The entire schooling system here discourages initiative and critical thinking, so it takes kids longer to become really useful.

Neither of these situations may be applicable to you, but it's applicable to most of your peers, hence the crap pay. What can you do about it? Some of the advice above is good. I don't think there's much you can do about it save suck it up for a while and then move somewhere else as a more experienced lateral hire- play on your maturity or whatever else differentiates you.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Our Boris - who'd know what 'unhelpful post' means if it wasn't for your tirelessly produced examples ;-)
    Posted via Mobile Device
    So - you believe all life is about kissy kissy , not to worry ? What a help you must be.

Quote Originally Posted by kryzlowski:
    I haven't read this thread properly... but saw this comment.

If we put time and hard work into something why shouldn't we receive "a living"? A high salary is another thing, but everyone should be able to make a basic living in return to their time and effort. Are you saying that people who work hard in third world countries and still live below the poverty line are not owed "a living"?
    I agree totally, This guy is by no means living below the poverty line and has the pay rise of 10% to come. Life must be REAL HARD.

The post is not about other people in other countries, its about someone who wants a 4 Seasons lifestyle the moment he walks in the door because he believes that just because he has a degree, it makes him special. NEWSFLASH - most of the hardest working people in the business world, made their money by exactly that, not by thinking a piece of paper gave them superior rights. The didn't / don't whine on, they just GET ON.

Quote Originally Posted by empee00:
    Here is an idea, prior to posting how about you think about what you are writing first before slating what others do and do not write.

From your OP ---- QUOTE " Thoughts, criticisms, insights and rants are all welcome. " UNQUOTE

Obviously not, so mature grad or not ( and you behave as the later ) you need to go back and live with your parents - cos everyone out here in the real world ain't gonna kiss up to you just cos you think you should have more dosh. Mummy can hold your hand whilst you sob in her handkerchief, which in the final analysis, is what your really asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    So - you believe all life is about kissy kissy , not to worry ? What a help you must be.
    No. But I sort of feel that anyone asking for help deserves better than a self-righteous rant from someone who isn't intending to help at all.

Anyway. To give what little advice I can give, starting your career in HK is indeed a rather lousy option given the treatment of fresh grads. By that I do not only mean the low salary - this is more a consequence of the fact that they often won't let you do any real work at all. Which again is maybe a consequence of the rote learning system here which focuses on anything but independence and hence the work many fresh grads do is plainly not worth much in terms of cash. In addition to that, the range of high paying careers seems to be incredibly narrow (finance, law, medicine) so, you might indeed be better off somewhere else. (This might sound like a joke coming from me, since I'll get my PhD from a local school next year and will try to find a local job too, but I believe it is the harsh truth nonetheless)

So, if I were you, I'd just keep sending out resumes in hope of finding something that pays better and where your employer actually benefits from you not being out of the local treadmill. Others might give suggestions if you're a bit more informative about how old you are, what experiences you have, whether or not you need a visa etc, but then, the part about supply and demand was correct (incredibly, isnt it? the pearl in the...), so you might need to look to some professions or places where something you offer is in demand :-/

Best of luck....

So you end up saying exactly what I said. Go try looking for another job if you think you can do better. Yet you spend six words for every one of mine telling him and decide that my harsh, real world reality is not advice. Maybe your new PhD will find work in local government in the " waffle " department or you could get a job in litigation by denying advice has been given, yet by changing the statement, maintain status quo. Oh and charging huge money for doing it - Cool.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast