A gripe about graduate jobs

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

first.... Boris rules.
    second... without any background info you do sound like an undeserving whiner, when in actuality you may or may not be.

fresh grads always thhink they deserve more, and it's usually because they just slushed through several years (and in most cases several $) for school... and the fresh diploma clouds your eyes causing you to think higher of yourself.

yhe main point though is the majority of grads in HK live at home and get low salaries with 5% raises. yours is slighty better, and yet you still complain.

if you can't move to UK or elsewhere, then why compare? just to kick yourself while your down? US grads get paid slighty more, but that's because they usually live on their own. most people here live at home til their 30's.

so, until you give us more info as to your background, your industry, etc.... Noone can really say more than "hang in there", "be patient", or "suck it up".
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by BenderBends; 15-07-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Work hard, study hard, or change your situation. I couldn't find any entry job in my field, so I left the country, took on jobs with paltry pay in a different field for two years, and studied on my own until I could qualify for a job in my field with a decent pay (but, more importantly, which was both in my field and interesting). It's easy to get frustrated at your situation, but perhaps not quite as easy to take the initiative to try to change it a year or three down the line. (In other words, stop passively whining and start doing something.)

In the end, as a poster suggested, there's always teaching English. You should be able to get twice your current monthly salary doing that, which you could use for education or whatnot.

well..unless you like teaching english, i would avoid it. the reason i say this is because it is not going to help you in the long run unless you want to stay as a teacher. your current position will build up your resume.

as i always tell my wife (who complains much in the same way as you have): constantly changing jobs will hurt your resume, and doing other jobs just for the cash is not going to help you in your industry if its unrelated. you need to stick with it and give it time. in some cases you may be able to prove your worth and climb the ranks within a few years (less then 5). in other cases it may take some time and 2 or 3 jobs before you get to where you should be (10+ years).

but if you change jobs every year because of low pay, and work in odd jobs unrelated, you are just prolonging and hurting your chances for moving up soon

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Anyway. To give what little advice I can give, starting your career in HK is indeed a rather lousy option given the treatment of fresh grads. By that I do not only mean the low salary - this is more a consequence of the fact that they often won't let you do any real work at all.
    Have to agree with this, I'm ending my career in HK as opposed to starting it thus all my salary is now disposable income. Theres no way on earth I would of started out my career in HK.

If you're starting out in a fresh career regardless of age you're going to have to start at the bottom and prove your worth then see how things go after a few years. When I moved into I.T 9 years ago I had to start right at the bottom rung even though I had 11 years work experience prior to that which counted for nothing.

As regards to counting your pennies, Yes totally understandable if you're on 11k and have to pay rent etc but then if you're a 'mature fresh grad' then you should have savings to fall back on right?

I find large reputable companies pay below market rates, because they know people will work for peanuts just to get a recognizable brand on their resume.

empee, I think you are stuck in our "solid" company.

In terms of the job market in HK, the 2001 recession was worse.

If there are any certifications in your profession go for them! Knowledge = power = money in your bank account. But what some seasoned professionals have told me, it boils down to does the path you are on make you happy and do you like your profession. I know a guy that worked for free for a whole year (I don't advise doing that) because he bet his boss that the salary doesn't attract him, the work does. I know right now I'd do anything just to get a job in Hong Kong in the capital markets or Corporate Finance division of a firm.

BTW, you can always do a little job hunting online in your spare time and set a few short term goals for yourself career wise that is. You'll do fine.

Empee I think a tiny bit more detail would help. Your pay is low in the sense it is below average wage in HK. This is not saying much though as the average is not the median and not categorised by industry/profession.

You get more than a street cleaner but less than an IB grad (actually around 25K pm at the most). These higher paying jobs are being filled not just by graduates but top tier university attending, performance oriented, experienced (inc placement) muti-lingual, intelligent, sharp, eager graduates... I have managed in the past graduates who make my educational background seem truly pathetic!

I agree you could get more abroad even in a generic admin role / working at minimum wage in the UK for example. I would weigh up how much staying in HK is really worth to you. If its a consolation others have lost their job in HK and considering similar moves whilst others like myself are persistently looking for work here. It is not easy to find work here which is meaningful AND well/decently paid but as I'm sure you know that's life

Patience and perseverance are 2 massive virtues - easier said than done I admit. I would recommend you stay in your current job even if you dislike it (hate must be balanced with practical concerns) and follow some of the previous good advice given in this thread. Make it work, earn your raise etc. If you do not see that happening in a reasonable timescale I would quit and go somewhere else but always quit once you have already lined something else up... use every evening as an opportunity to continue a job search - be discreet. Even if it takes a few months to find a better job it will be time well spent in the end. Canvass agencies speak to them they earn money from you being employed favourably.

You seem pretty clued up that wages in HK are quite low to begin with, especially so for anyone in a grad type role. This does not mean you are a grad but again more detail would help. Perhaps you could provide some detail - which field - which career level - previous experience (no names of companies...

It looks like people are trying to help you but I'm sure you don't want sympathy just constructive advice that is difficult when so much is unknown.

To Empee

You need to sit down and think about the following.

Why HK to start your new career?
    Where do you see yourself in 3-4 years time?

Good advice jimbo =)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast