A gripe about graduate jobs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Empee
    You also have to ask yourself.
    Why did you sign your contract in this job ???

No matter all the whining about pay etc etc. You signed up for this less than a year ago, would have had interviews and written up your contract on a mutual agreement. But still you whinge.

Are you being paid the industry standard? I think is relevant - unless you are a star, then you are treated just like everyone else. $11k isn't much, but as stated by others, we all had to start somewhere.

Do you have a HR department you can talk to so you can discuss your concerns? Are you on a work visa or can you easily switch jobs? Maybe doing some networking and putting out some feelers may help you see what else is out there. The grass may not be greener on the other side.

Yes, when I started work, for the first three years I lived from month to month, counted every dollar and my credit card was my lifeline more than once, so you are far from being alone. If Australia or the UK is better for you, pack your bags and give it a go.

Remember, the race is long, so just because you are a little behind today, doesn't mean you won't be well infront further down the track.

Good luck.

Let me give you the other side of the story.

>> they often won't let you do any real work at all

We have time and again tried to offer real work to real people.

Grads will gladly give up a good salary at a no-name company to work for a shit salary in a mega-corp. Why? I've even had one candidate who graduated from a decent uni, tell me that I'd have to convince his father to let him work for us.

So, if you're going to go work for mega-corp you'll have to suffer the indignities. Choose who you work for. Smaller companies will get employees involved in their businesses a lot quicker.

Then there is another person I encountered who could not put a decent sentence together, in English, despite having graduated from an English school. He claimed he was bored doing some basic work that was assigned to him on day 1. He wanted more challenging tasks like redoing our whole revenue strategy.

If you cannot do the basics, do expect to get offered a board position in your first week on the job. Learn the game, watch how things are done, find a suitable mentor and get trained first.

In my experience you get three types of grads here

- the type that need a lot of hand holding
    - the type that thinks they're gods gift to the planet
    - the type that really wants to work, and will take ownership and just get on with it....

Sadly there are very few that really want to work. Even fewer that will take ownership and responsibility and put their necks on the line...

There you go .. my gripe about fresh grads.

Last edited by shri; 15-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Shri
    I wish I had your subtle touch in such grievous circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Then there is another person I encountered who could not put a decent sentence together, in English, despite having graduated from an English school. He claimed he was bored doing some basic work that was assigned to him on day 1. He wanted more challenging tasks like redoing our whole revenue strategy.
    Hey, I had a guy like that. Mid-late twenties, first degree from Oz, plus a masters at a HK-US distance learning course. Couldn't string a sentence together in English and couldn't even distinguish the difference between 'click' and 'kick'! When asked what he wanted from his job and his 5 year goal, he said he wanted to be 'management'. By that he means acutal top tier management, not just any management roles. Unbelievable! After rotating him in a couple of departments we simply had to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    - the type that thinks they're gods gift to the planet
    as if that only applied to fresh grads.....

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    as if that only applied to fresh grads.....
    But we're talking about fresh grads in this context though, Obviously though theres a bunch of those types that aren't fresh grads, Nobody is denying that.

To empee

11K is not a great salary, but in reality, is still decent when compared to local fresh grad. salaries. Add in the fact that you are on a grad. trainee scheme, your organisation (supposedly) is investing a lot to train you. At least you are benefiting from a low salaries tax structure in HK.

I've noticed that in HK that the big salary increases comes from job switching. You cannot expect annual pay rises of 10%+ simply as a result of your length of service within a company.

In light of the present global economy, a promised 10% pay rise is good. I've had my salary frozen in the past two years and my bonus cut. I am fortunate that I have a job that I don't detest.

Hang in there!

The days when being a graduate conferred any entitlement are long gone in most parts of the world. Put that down to successive governments mining higher education for political gain and their half-baked efforts to engineer social change.

The notion that knowledge= power is a mantra recited by locals, and no doubt accounts for inflated expectations among them. Having said that, I’m shocked that anyone with a reasonable level of education can be paid such a paltry sum. You would do well do consider your options elsewhere.

The value of a degree has become so diluted as to be significant only in its absence.

the best way out of this is to leave the company which doesnt pay you what you want, and find a company that does. that will also show you how much you are worth... whether 11k is about right, or if you should get more like you think.

i rejected job offers paying 7k and 10k for one which paid 13k. and if i really felt i couldn't live on my current salary i wud quit and work somewhere else (whether in HK or UK or USA etc etc.).

when i arrived into HK as a fresh grad, i realised could have made more in UK. But if was working in UK i would be spending more on travel and food and tax. so the difference is not as much as you think. and i just prefer the lifestyle in HK so i made some sacrifices. I don't know if you can work in another country (or the difficulties), but maybe that is something you can consider?

i do agree that the salary levels are somewhat low in HK though. 30k a month is deemed fairly high relatively, but in the UK, that type of salary could be reached maybe 2 or 3 years after graduating.