A gripe about graduate jobs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

A gripe about graduate jobs

I am in a graduate job within a international company which I believe has a good/solid reputation. However it is not finance or banking.

I get paid just above 10k a month, lets call it 11k. If I were doing the same job in another country say Australia or UK I would be on about 25k per month HKD.

I have recently found out that after my second year my pay is unlikely to increase more than 1000hkd per month. This to me is a bit of a blow. I felt and hints were dropped from the employing company that I would be doing well for myself after my first year. It is also is what has gotten me through the tough times of year one.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do. The money I am getting now is not enough to live a comfortable lifestyle and an extra 1000 isnt going to make much difference. I am always counting the dollars and finding the cheapest places for EVERYTHING. Yes I do allow myself to go out one weekend eve per month, and still go to cheap places. I think I will go mental if I stick at what I am doing as the lack of money is making me stressed.

But after tons of research I have come to the conclusion that there is hardly an escape from the rut I am in. No other jobs at my level pay much more than what I am getting. I litterally feel like one step forward two, oh no, three, oh hang on four steps back.

Thoughts, criticisms, insights and rants are all welcome.

Would it be possible to move to the UK or Australia or elsewhere ?

It is really horrible living on a budget especially when the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't feel like its getting any closer anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    Would it be possible to move to the UK or Australia or elsewhere ?

It is really horrible living on a budget especially when the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't feel like its getting any closer anytime soon.
    Yes you hit the nail on the head, the light at the end of the tunnel is important, I mean I dont wanna be on 15k in year three of my career.

I could only go back to one country, however jobs are slim, some of my uni buddies are doing the whole check out chick thing. plus I have established some resemblance of a life over here, and I do like HK. I just find it difficult especially with the news I wont be going anywhere fast on my "fast track" programme.

Teach English instead

So your a graduate in a first year job and can't get it into your educated head that you have to " walk before you can run "?

Young people ALWAYS want to have what their elders have -- as an automatic right -- without understanding the years it takes to get the experience that begets a good wage.

If you don't have enough for your lifestyle -- your living the wrong lifestyle, living in too big an apartment and have too high an opinion of yourself for someone at such a young age. Cut up your credit card and live on cash. Spend your money on medical insurance and buying a pension - you will thank me for this advice in 30 yrs time but think me a boring git now.

Look at your friends around you - think of yourself as a graduate that you are lucky to get a job at all and 10K starting is pretty fair when you consider most companies are not hiring. Business 101 - supply and demand - maybe that's why your boss won't give you a big rise ( in your mind ) because a) you don't understand the basics b) you don't realise that anyone else getting a 10% pay rise would be celebrating not complaining.

Finally - if your not happy, leave. Don't whinge and whine. See if your confidence is correct and get a bigger paying job elsewhere. Your a Grad ( lots of them out there ) and have zero work experience in the real world ( even more of them out there ) -- Should get a 100k a month job in a heartbeat.

Oh and go back and live with your parents - your not grown up enough for the real world.

Boris, as much as your post incites a little annoyance in me I can see where you are coming from. Maybe it would be fair for me to point out a thing or two.

Firstly I am a mature graduate, I have been out there in the real world, I have done hard yards before, I am doing them again. I have no problem with hard work. I also have no problem with you insinuating I am a youngster even when I am not, although I am a deal younger than yourself.

Young people ALWAYS want to have what their elders have -- as an automatic right -- without understanding the years it takes to get the experience that begets a good wage.

And no, you are putting words into my mouth. I do not expect an ernormous salary in my first second or even third year. I understand that it takes some time to get a GOOD wage. I don't want a good wage, I just want a decent one, where I don't cringe everytime I see my octopus card on the last few dollars etc.

This post is more about the differences I have noted in the graduate programmes in HK compared to the rest of the world. Let us be completely honest here, 10k for a graduate isn't a hell of a lot. I am basing this on comparables, I am also basing it on the fact that Hong Kong is a very advanced financial/real estate/shipping etc hub as is London.

Oh and go back and live with your parents - your not grown up enough for the real world

A little insulting for a grown man? Maybe you should check to see where that bitterness you are hiding is coming from, a chip on your shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    So your a graduate in a first year job and can't get it into your educated head that you have to " walk before you can run "?

If you don't have enough for your lifestyle -- your living the wrong lifestyle, living in too big an apartment and have too high an opinion of yourself for someone at such a young age. Cut up your credit card and live on cash. Spend your money on medical insurance and buying a pension - you will thank me for this advice in 30 yrs time but think me a boring git now.

Look at your friends around you - think of yourself as a graduate that you are lucky to get a job at all and 10K starting is pretty fair when you consider most companies are not hiring. Business 101 - supply and demand - maybe that's why your boss won't give you a big rise ( in your mind ) because a) you don't understand the basics b) you don't realise that anyone else getting a 10% pay rise would be celebrating not complaining.

Finally - if your not happy, leave. Don't whinge and whine. See if your confidence is correct and get a bigger paying job elsewhere. Your a Grad ( lots of them out there ) and have zero work experience in the real world ( even more of them out there ) -- Should get a 100k a month job in a heartbeat.

Oh and go back and live with your parents - your not grown up enough for the real world.
    Unfairly harsh I think. This guys is earning less than I did when I graduated from university in the UK over 20+ years ago! I think he's probably got a point! He is right that grads in the UK/Aus (IF they have a job, important point) are earning alot more than he is. We pay our useless grads (yep, I do agree, they know nothing) alot more than this and give them a much faster increase with decent salaries only about 5 years in the future.....

Having said that, your point about supply and demand is correct. There is too much supply and not enough demand in HK. This may be different in a different market, so if you can move to UK, Aus etc, then do so. If you hate your job, then leave and 1) get a better paid grad job or 2) get one you enjoy doing at low pay!

If you think you were lied to in the interview process, then challenge this with HR. At least get them to explain what was said, why and how it relates to your situation now. At least you will be in a better position to see where you stand. It might show you the light at the end of the tunnel that you need - albeit the tunnel might be longer than you realised!

Add value in your current job. Do a better job. Learn more. Earn your raise! It might not work, but it will give you experience and knowledge that will help you move somewhere else if this fails. All experiences, even - or perhaps especially- the bad ones, teach us something. Use that. If you fell for a bunch of lies and made a poor employment decision, then suck it up, learn what you can, move on and don't make the same mistake again.

Good luck.

PS - we are not hiring right now
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-07-2009 at 11:25 PM.

And someone worth the money would a) lay the full facts out in front. b) maybe indicate an age in your profile.

No one can understand you which , for me at least , has led to me treating you to a dose of honesty.

So - I repeat, go out and try in the big world, if you have all this experience. The saying goes " A drowning man makes the most noise ".

If you want to be seen as a strong swimmer, suck it up and prove your worth. Don't whinge, it wastes energy. Endex.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Unfairly harsh I think. This guys is earning less than I did when I graduated from university in the UK over 20+ years ago! I think he's probably got a point! He is right that grads in the UK/Aus (IF they have a job, important point) are earning alot more than he is. We pay our useless grads (yep, I do agree, they know nothing) alot more than this and give them a much faster increase with decent salaries only about 5 years in the future.....

Having said that, your point about supply and demand is correct. There is too much supply and not enough demand in HK. This may be different in a different market, so if you can move to UK, Aus etc, then do so. If you hate your job, then leave and 1) get a better paid grad job or 2) get one you enjoy doing at low pay!

If you think you were lied to in the interview process, then challenge this with HR. At least get them to explain what was said, why and how it relates to your situation now. At least you will be in a better position to see where you stand. It might show you the light at the end of the tunnel that you need - albeit the tunnel might be longer than you realised!

Add value in your current job. Do a better job. Learn more. Earn your raise! It might not work, but it will give you experience and knowledge that will help you move somewhere else if this fails. All experiences, even - or perhaps especially- the bad ones, teach us something. Use that. If you fell for a bunch of lies and made a poor employment decision, then suck it up, learn what you can, move on and don't make the same mistake again.

Good luck.

PS - we are not hiring right now
    Not harsh - real life.

Too many people out there ( whatever age ) thinking the world still owes them a living.

Our Boris - who'd know what 'unhelpful post' means if it wasn't for your tirelessly produced examples ;-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast