Dependent visa questions (apologies)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dependent visa questions (apologies)

Hi,

I've looked at the HK immi website:

"5. An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if:

1. there is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the applicant and the sponsor;
    2. there is no known record to the detriment of the applicant; and
    3. the sponsor is able to support the dependant's living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR."

My girlfriend of five years (who is a hk citizen and uk citizen) and I (uk citizen) are considering getting married as soon as we move to Hong Kong in september.

My questions are...

a. Do you think that will give immi cause to think we don't have a genuine relationship (we do)?

b. Will photos of us from the UK be sufficient to provide evidence of a genuine relationship? What is normally required? We have letters addressed to us individually but both to the same address in the UK and in another country where I also worked.

c. If I get the visa will I be free to work anywhere doing anything in HK or are there restrictions?

With regard to the ability to support me, she is going to be earning min 15000 hkd and she will have rented an apartment thats 7300 hkd a month. Does this come above the 'subsistence' criteria? (Some experiences of this would be really helpful)

You can't apply for a Dependant Visa until you are married. The quote you took presupposes that.

Once you are married, and with photos of the wedding, holidays together, letters to the same UK address and so on then you should be fine.

The Dependant Visa you will get carries no restrictions except that you stay married. You can work freely.

Income of $15000 with rent of $7300 is probably just about OK, but not with much comfort zone. You aren't going to have a great standard of living on that unless and until you get a job.

Last edited by PDLM; 14-08-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Thank you PDLM,

Yes I understand the above visa info is after we are married. Really my concern is if we get married and apply for the visa the next week (it will have to be that tight because i need to start earning) if immigration would deem that too soon to apply for the visa. I'm probably just overthinking here, but it would be great if anyone had experience of this before.

I would work as a private English tutor when we get married and I have some savings. I'm only really concerned about whether or not it would satisfy immigration.

We applied for Mrs PDLM's Dependant Visa within 18 hours of our marriage - no worries there.

But don't tell ImmD that you need to work - that is against the point of the dependant visa, which is that you don't need to work and could be supported by your wife.

nothing to worry about. Immigration never asked us for anything. all they wanted to see was a marriage certificate. no photos, no bank accounts statements, rental contracts, no nothing. we were married for 4 months before we applied.

OK, thanks guys, thats a relief.

I don't suppose you know the average waiting list at the registry offices do you?

It depends whether you are flexible on days. But you don't need to use a registry office - you can get married wherever and whenever you want using a Civil Celebrant.

PDLM do you mind if I ask two more questions? (Thank you by the way, you have been extremely helpful for me on this forum.)

When I arrive in HK my girlfriend and I will get married. Do you think I should say this to the immi officer upon arrival at the airport or just say tourism, or do you think its better to say we intend to get married and I need a six month visa? I'm wondering if being too honest will complicate things as we need the time for the dependent visa to process once I'm here!

I know it seems silly, but I've been wondering that for a while.

Also,

When I renew the dependent visa after what I assume is a year (correct?) will it then be renewed for three years and then permanently after the fourth year? I couldn't find this info on the immi website.

Thanks again

It's been so long since I spoke to an Immigration Officer coming in to HK that I'm probably not the best person to answer this. But my basic response is always not to lie to officialdom unless that is an extremely good reason. So if you already have plans in place for your wedding (if, for example, you have already given the requisite 14 days notice) then I would be honest if asked. I can't see how they would have a problem with that, particularly if she goes up to the (visitors) immigration desk with you (she can be checked through by the same officer).

Dependant Visas for people married to permanent residents are first for 1 year, then on renewal for a further 3 years. That much I know. You need to get to 7 years for Permanent Residence in your own right, so it would seem a bit odd to grant a further 3 for the second renewal since you would then need to be applying for a third renewal and then just a few weeks later for your Permanent Residence. My intention with Mrs PDLM's visa is that we should apply for a 4 year extension when we get to that point (with a covering letter explaining why) and see what they do.

as a uk passport holder, you automatically get 6 months. if asked, i'd say you're getting married...nothing to hide there. if you have your appointment sorted out beforehand, then you can provide that if asked. i think it's very different than if you were to say, "i'm coming to look for work."

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast