What are the chances of getting job in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are the chances of getting job in Hong Kong?

Hi Friends,

I am urgently looking for job in Hong Kong...

I am working as a Senior Software Engineer and having around 7 years MNC work experience in Information Technology Outsourcing (ITO) and Remote Data Center management of IT Infrastructure for large USA & UK based MNCs.

And I have work authorization in Hong Kong, recently received my visa under Quality Migrant Admission Scheme….

I know the current economic condition is not good and another drawback is not locally available as most of the companies and recruitment agencies give preference to local candidates because of their convenience. But still I need a job in HK……

I have a plan to come to HK by the end of this month, but before that deliberately looking for arranging some interviews…no luck still…

really need someone to help me and take me to the right direction.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by Vvyan; 17-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Cantonese and/or Mandarin is usually required on any field but on IT field is not so important I think. You should look around on JobsDB.com for the requirements and opportunities.

Are you familiar with the salaries and prices of HK?

Efdani,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah! Employers are asking Chinese Language skills for some jobs even in IT field. But I think this is not a big problem, because I could still see a lot of jobs only asking English language skills.

I am also following all job sites including jobsdb, careertimes, classified post, monster, etc, and sending cv to the matched postings regularly. But I believe the problem is people are just ignoring the cv after knowing that I am not locally available and they don’t want to invest their time by calling me to interview. But I am willing to come to HK following a telephonic interview. That is the reason I am looking for someone who is willing to refer me for interview...

Yeah! I am familiar with cost of living in HK as my in-laws' family is in HK.

Unless you have skills they cant find in HK,otherwise they wont bother calling you.
    Since you have relatives in HK,why not come to HK and then look for a job?

Certain companies keep the job postings up cos they haven't found the right candidate. Even if you are perfect for the job, the person who wants you doesn't know it cos your application is received by the HR department first. Some HR staff just don't know the actual criteria and so will end up never informing you. They seem to be looking for exactly want the ad says. No ifs, ands or buts. One way is to try lowering your salary expectations. Once you get the interview, use your bargaining skills to bring it back up.
    The important thing is to get the interview first. Then go from there.

Vvyan,

I am experiencing the exact same difficulties. The job requirements for the vacancies I'm applying for match me exactly and I receive no reply at all. Its so frustrating!

Does anyone know the names of construction recruitment companies in Hong Kong.

I'm a member of jobsDB and apply to jobs regularly but am I yet to receive a response.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Welshy

I've applied to more than 100 jobs and only got 1 reply. How about that? But 2 years ago, I applied to 10 jobs and got 3 replies in a week.
    I'll bet that in HK, even more people applied for the same job and are over qualified. Might be the reason why they didn't call back. My friend applied for a job and lied through his teeth of being over qualified with decades of experience. He got a reply in 4 days. If you don't feel guilty in lying, try that route. I feel guilty about doing that. That's why I'm still jobless!

Hmmm... I am in the same category too...not ready to lie, but I already have 7 years experience which is ok for the jobs I am applying. In my case the main reason is not currently staying in HK as I can’t quit my current job and just come to HK with empty hand!

The current market condition also extremely competitive! Even though your skills are matching to the job position, recruiters are not ready to take a risk of calling you for an interview when you are in abroad as they want to satisfy their clients as quick as possible…

Basically recruiters are working for employers only, not for the job seeker! , but we really need someone who will find the suitable job for our skills…???

Last edited by Vvyan; 26-08-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie yeoh:
    ...being over qualified with decades of experience. He got a reply in 4 days. If you don't feel guilty in lying, try that route. I feel guilty about doing that. That's why I'm still jobless!
    what about during the interview ? its easy to "stretch" the truth on paper, much harder when you have to talk about your "experience". Surely, any half decent company would do background and reference checks. a risky strategy if you ask me

What I did 2 years ago was to get a mobile number from HK and and bring it back to my home country. That phone number is stated in my resume. I also use a HK friend's address. So if they assume you are in HK, your chances of getting an interview goes up. Make sure you put the phone on roaming. Now all you do is wait for that call! Flights are really cheap now.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast