Bit of advice please!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bit of advice please!

Hello Expats,

Hope all is well?

I am just after a bit of advice from someone.

My girlfriend and I are moving to Hong Kong in late September. She is starting a research position at Hong Kong University.

I work in PR in the UK and I have been contacting some of the multi-nationals in HK. I have had a couple of phone interviews and two companies have invited me in for a face-to-face interview when I arrive.

We are not married so I am unable to get a dependent visa. I guess I will need to come over on a visitors visa and then look to switch to an employment visa once (hopefully!) I'm offered a position.

What I need to know is if such companies will know this and be willing to sponsor me? Is it feasible to enter on a visitors visa and then switch to an employment visa. I have been told many people do this though it is not ideal??

Any help would be much-appreciated! I am also going to start applying for advertised positions, I believe JobsDB is good?

Thanks
    James

It isn't legal (really) to look for work whilst on a visitors visa. Correctly you need to be sponsored for an employment visa first. There are f'numerous threads already on this subject.

Yeah, I've heard that quite a lot - not good!

Is it feasible to do though, whilst not ideal?

Also, just out of interest, can you work on a dependent visa?

Yes, you can work on a dependent visa, makes the job searching a lot easier, because you obviously don't need sponsorship, and therefore more doors tend to open....well that's what I've found!

Provided that you only LOOK for a job while here on a visitors visa, you are only a "little bit" illegal - the bigger problem is if you START WORK while still waiting for the visa to come through - that's a no-no - but no local firm should ask you do to that anyway.

Will you be able to survive if you don't get a job? HK is not the cheapest place for accommodation (if your gf gets a housing allowance, you're probably fine) so be prepared to tighten your belt just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigs:
    Yes, you can work on a dependent visa, makes the job searching a lot easier, because you obviously don't need sponsorship, and therefore more doors tend to open....well that's what I've found!
    Yes, I can imagine that makes sense. Is it a lot of effort for a company to sponsor you? I thought it was just a case of filling in forms?

Getting a bit concerned now. I perhaps naively thought that if my interviews went well, the company would sponsor me. The companies I have spoken to seemed keen to interview me and I thought they would know that I would need sponsorship.

Is it not recommended to come out on a visitors visa and look for work - I know its not ideal but I thought it was common?

Stop worrying. It IS common, just not strictly legal!
    Sponsoring is trivial - if a company likes you, it will sponsor you. The form filling-in is not-so-trivial .... bring ALL your documents with you just in case they ask! Eg degree certificates; even school certificates are handy; (for dependant, marriage certificate) etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Provided that you only LOOK for a job while here on a visitors visa, you are only a "little bit" illegal - the bigger problem is if you START WORK while still waiting for the visa to come through - that's a no-no - but no local firm should ask you do to that anyway.

Will you be able to survive if you don't get a job? HK is not the cheapest place for accommodation (if your gf gets a housing allowance, you're probably fine) so be prepared to tighten your belt just in case!

Thanks for the tip, I've got some money saved and my girlfriend will be on a good wage so we will certainly be ok for a few months.

As I have a couple of interviews lined up, and I will continue looking before we move out, I hope to be offered something. As you suggest, I'm sure the companies wouldn't expect me to begin until a working visa is in place.

Is it possible to change from a visitors visa to an employment visa whilst in HK. I had heard you need to go to the mainland and then re-enter?

Again, thanks for any info! getting a bit confused!

The job search bit is like anything that is not legal innit - do it quietly on the sly and don't bring attention on yourself. You can 'network' without looking like an active job seeker can't you?

The sponsoring bit - if they want you, can prove they can't get a local to do it - yes they can sponsor you. It isn't 100% guaranteed that you will get it but if you are qualified and have the required skills / experience you should be OK.

Last edited by Load Toad; 18-08-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast