Editor's Job in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Editor's Job in Hong Kong?

Hi all !!

Seeing such a friendly and helpful crowd here, I am also tempted to come out of my shell to seek your advice!

I am presently working as an Editor of a magazine in India which is going to be closed soon. (I am financially secure - thanks to my stint for several years in a major bank - but I want to work in HK mainly to push myself further and to experience new culture.)

I have good editorial skills - with expertise in contract publications - and I do have some impressive portfolio.

I want to know:

- If I land in HK with my resume and portfolio, will I be able to get a
    job in 2 weeks?

- I am told that jobs such as Editor in good publications are only
    meant for native speakers viz.guys from UK, US and Aus. Is
    that right?

-I am in middle forties and I don't know Mandarin or Cantonese. Are
    these major limiting factors in English media?

I will be glad to receive your frank views!

simpleton

The media industry in HK has been hit hard with several magazines closing, moving online-only or cutting back on staff.

As is always the case, jobs tend to be advertised word of mouth, so it's best to come here with a bunch of contacts. Find out who you know who knows someone out here. I think finding a job in two weeks is optimistic.

You don't have to be Brit/Aus/US/Can etc to edit English-language magazines, but you will have to demonstrate fluency in English. Cantonese not necessary, but one-language only positions are getting fewer and fewer.

You could look at getting back into banking, especially of you have your Series 16 SA exam.

Fair number of Indian editors in the various inhouse teams at the banks here in Hong Kong.

thanks guys for your fast response...but no way I am going to work in a bank again...

Hi Simpleton,

I'm working as an Editor at one of the 'Big 4' accounting companies, editing their reports for any major errors and making things sound like they were written by a native speaker.

I think a lot of companies do look for native speakers, but then again a lot of Indian people have a very very high level of English (often better than the local Chinese here) so I don't think it should necessarily be an obstacle.

Recently I have not seen a lot of editing jobs on offer. I think a lot of companies now and reluctant to hire foreigners and would prefer someone who has the right to live in HKG.

I was very lucky -- I got hired from overseas. But that was before the 'financial tsunami' as they love to say came and washed all that big-budget recruiting away.

I'd say start by applying online, indicating that you are ready to relocate IMMEDIATELY if offered a job. Make sure to talk extensively about your editing experience. If you have an English degree, even better.

Since you have experience in banking, like the other responses said, you might stand a good chance combining the editing with the background in finance to be a Financial Editor. I'm pretty sure the finance industry would pay a lot more than working for a magazine here.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions!

Thanks emypie for addressing all my concerns ! It is selfless people like you who make this site a rich and vibrant place...

As you've suggested, I have started applying online and keeping my fingers crossed...

In any case, I'm planning to make a 14-day trip to HK by end of Sep, hoping to meet a few and show my expertise in B2B titles. Let's see if anything comes out of it...

Thanks once again !

Hi again,

Yes, it's good that you're coming to HKG this month -- tell them that when you apply.

I used that tactic when I was looking for jobs (I was living in Tokyo at the time), and mentioned in my cover letters that I was going to be in HKG "on holiday" during certain dates and would be glad to meet them in person. I thought that the companies might be more willing to give me an interview if I was physically there.

It actually worked; two companies said that since I was going to be in town that I should come in to meet them. So I bought the ticket and went to both while I was in HKG on holiday.

Actually, I did not hear from them after that for quite a while and thought for sure that my application didn't make the cut. Almost 3 months later I got the email from one company (where I'm still working) with the job offer. I guess these things take time. Found out later they had offered the job to two other candidates before me!!! But, I guess it was just my lucky day.

Another word of advice -- if you get offered an interview, hope you have a really nice suit. People in HKG, especially in the business district, dress to kill. Make sure you dress to impress.

Oh yes, and in your applications, if you lived or studied overseas, make sure to mention it, especially if it was an English-speaking country.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask! I spent a lot of time on geoexpat as well before moving here so I'm glad to help someone who was in the same position as me not too long ago.

Thanks a lot emypie for your help ! (And sorry for replying late...)

I have another query: Supposing I manage to land a job during my visit there, then what happens? Do I have to return to India and wait for the Employers Visa to materialise?

I hear the visa issuance period is between 4 to 6 weeks. When the employer's need is urgent, why should he wait for that much period? (I know the obvious answer would be: if you're great, he will wait for you.)

Any suggestions?

Hmm. I'm not exactly a legal expert on this but I don't think they can just give you the job so quickly or easily as a non-resident visiting HKG for an interview. So yes, even if they seem interested in hiring you, you would still have to return to India and wait for the official offer, the official contract, and the visa. After all, you are a tourist until you get that work visa so you can't stay in HKG and wait.

What, is 4 weeks waiting too much for you? : )
    Can't stand the suspense? Or just dying to live in HKG?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast