Thinking of working in HK

Closed Thread

Thinking of working in HK

Hello,
    I'm thinking about taking a rotation (work assignment) in HK beginning in late Oct./Nov. and could use a little advise.

I'm a middle aged married guy, but my wife will not be joining me on this assignment. I will be staying about 18 months and would like to know the best/cheapest way to live (preferably a real small one bedroom apt.) in/near the business district.

I do row, so I'd like to be close to where I'd be able to hook up with a rowing club for early morning and weekend rows.

Can anyone give me some advise about how much I can expect to spend on living arrangements (I will have to continue to pay my mortage here in the states). Also recommendations on housing, food, etc.

Hi, first off I'd say DO try to get your wife out here. 18 months is a long time to be apart.............

This site should give you some ideas about prices: Hong Kong Property Real Estate, Property for Sale, Lease and Rent - GoHome.com.hk

Generally the nearer you are to Central the more expensive it will tend to be. Try looking at Sheung Wan/Western, Happy Valley or Wanchai - all within a very short commute to Central by bus, tram or MTR.

The only place that I'm aware of any rowing though is up at Shatin, so if you want to do that on a regular basis you're going to have a bit of a commute either to work or to the rowing, depending on where you live.

Thank you for your advice. I will look into your recommendations.

Hope this pans out.

You'll be divorced in 6 months. Just sayin'...

And yes, I'd say bring your wife. That might increase the chance of your marriage surviving from about 10% to maybe 50%. Once you've tried Wanchai it's hard to go back.

I was in India last year for eight months and we survived. We've been married for 31 years, so I don't think this will be a "deal breaker" at this point in our lives. We seem to thrive on the independence our marriage and relationship provide us. It works.

Well, don't say we didn't warn you...

Thanks for the warning, testing the strength is always a challenge, but can be fun at times. if you know what I mean.

Look at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club website, and give Jonny the head of rowing an email. They have rowing at middle island, but not sure what time they open the boat shed in the mornings