Job offer that pays very little... what to do?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> How do people usually go to interviews if they work a full time mon-sat job?

We've always interviewed afterhours if the candidate indicated that they could not make it during office hours.
    That's very good to know. I am definitely going to keep looking. I just didn't want my taking this crappy job offer to affect my opportunities to look for a better one.

hey aterbbs

do you know the chinese saying "騎牛搵馬" (i think thats how you write it in chinese), which translate "ride a cow while you seek for a horse", i believe that is majority of the mentality in cantonese ppl in hk, if they are offered a job, they will take it but at the same time they are also job hunting... i guess it all depends on your finances, if you are ok with digging into your savings for alittle longer, then theres no reason to accept something you dont like but at the same time, when will be the next job offer?

i agree with many of the posters about what is acceptable in Hong Kong (and probably most other industries).

however, please also think about your moral standards.

my parents used to own a business in the UK, so i sympathise with how angry they sometimes got with unreliable and disloyal employees.

i also think that i treat others how i expect myself to be treated. I have always been fairly loyal to my employers, worked hard and never caused problems and never left just because i had a better salary offer (i either left because it was the end of a contract, or because i was leaving the city/country for uni or emigrating). this would also mean that i expect the same from my employers and i have been right. all my employers have been good to me, none have fired me, caused me any problems etc.

but theres also the saying "nice guys finish last"

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:

however, please also think about your moral standards.

my parents used to own a business in the UK, so i sympathise with how angry they sometimes got with unreliable and disloyal employees.
    What about the moral standards of the employer who works you 6 days a week and pays less than you need to survive? Doesn't reliability and loyalty work both ways?

OP - take the job but get a better paid one as soon as you can.

OP, when you do go out there and look for the next job just after starting this one, be aware that there will be questions about why you want to move so quickly....merely saying it doesn't pay enough will make an interviewer uncomfortable - after all they'll probably be wondering if they take you on, will you hop again if a job paying a bit more comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Aterbbs:
    The job pays very very little, it pays my rent but with food and expenses I'll be around $2000 short a month.

I'm not very interested in this job, hate working every Saturday too, but I was thinking of taking it anyway, so that at least I won't have to keep digging into my savings.
    if you're going to be $2,000 short per month, surely you will have to keep digging into your savings.

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you have no intention of sticking around and are looking to get out as soon as you can, I would suggest that you don't accept the offer.

Depending on your individual circumstance and the industry you're in, you may be able to get away with it with no long-term repercussions - but if you do it in certain industries with "closely-knit" communities, e.g. Investment Banking/Financial Services, you can be sure that your personnel record will be marked "Rehire Ineligible" and that you'll be permanently blacklisted from ever working in that company again.

If you think the offer is a low-ball one, then renegotiate. Let them know that you might be forced to leave because you may not be able to make ends meet. If they still choose to hire you, then that's their prerogative and you can subsequently quit with a clear conscience.

But don't join a company with the intention to quit the first opportunity you can. That's not fair on the company and will ultimately reflect poorly on you.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Agree with wtbhotia and PDLM on this.

Assuming you have a probationary period then accept this offer and see what the other interviews bring up, If you get a better offer in the probationary period or even before you start the job then tell them outright you don't think the role is right for you and thats it.

As regards to having overseas experience being worthless thats total bull, Clearly its relevant otherwise there would be no Expats in HK if that was the case.
    Last edited by lionrock88; 01-09-2009 at 01:56 PM.

if u do take up this job and before probation ends, u move to another job, dont even bother telling them about the 1st job. if they ask u what u have been doing for the past month or so, just enjoying a holiday, relaxing etc. dont tell them u had a job for a few months and then changed because of a better offer.

If a company is too stingy to pay properly, then screw them over and get out. They demand the probationary period, not the employee, so no sympathy from me if a employee finds something better and doesn't show up for the 12th week.

Companies go bust for many reasons, and neglecting to take proper care of their employees is one of the most common. Recommend that you look after your own needs before those of an employer.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    if u do take up this job and before probation ends, u move to another job, dont even bother telling them about the 1st job. if they ask u what u have been doing for the past month or so, just enjoying a holiday, relaxing etc. dont tell them u had a job for a few months and then changed because of a better offer.
    Yup I've omitted roles from my C.V before because it wasn't career enhancing and I didn't stay for more than a few months.

Also the probationary period is a two way street anyway and its to see if 'Either' part is the right fit for the other.
    Last edited by jimbo; 01-09-2009 at 02:15 PM.