Job offer that pays very little... what to do?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Job offer that pays very little... what to do?

I was born in Hong Kong but raised in the States. Moved back to Hong Kong around 2 weeks ago, got my first job offer today. The job pays very very little, it pays my rent but with food and expenses I'll be around $2000 short a month.

I'm not very interested in this job, hate working every Saturday too, but I was thinking of taking it anyway, so that at least I won't have to keep digging into my savings.

My question is, would I be a bitch if I keep taking days off for other interviews (I'm not sure if it's even possible?), and eventually quitting the job (hopefully very quickly) when I receive a better offer? Does everybody do that? Should I feel bad about it?

ps: I do not have any Hong Kong working experiences at all, and apparently overseas experiences are worthless. So I have no idea how long it'll be until I get a better offer. I do have several interviews lined up for the next few days, but I have to make the decision of whether or not I'm taking this offer before the end of tomorrow. Help

Last edited by Aterbbs; 31-08-2009 at 10:03 PM.

I agree that overseas experience is worthless. People here operate on a different level. They don't have to be like the people in the west.

better to have a job than nothing. work at it and at the same time look for something better.

i have seen people turn up for work and within 2-3 days they have buggered off and gone to another job. Within the 1st month, you can leave anytime, 2-3 month i think u need to give 7 days notice if u wanna get paid. Just try to find something before the probation finishes.

It is very normal in HK to accept the first job offer that comes along and then keep looking for a better one. Very many people leave within the first few weeks of jobs when they succeed (and the probation system here facilitates this).

Agree with wtbhotia and PDLM on this.

Assuming you have a probationary period then accept this offer and see what the other interviews bring up, If you get a better offer in the probationary period or even before you start the job then tell them outright you don't think the role is right for you and thats it.

As regards to having overseas experience being worthless thats total bull, Clearly its relevant otherwise there would be no Expats in HK if that was the case.

Probation is 3 months for me.

How do people usually go to interviews if they work a full time mon-sat job?

Last edited by Aterbbs; 31-08-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Just before or after work I guess. Or they take time off sick!

The HR guy called me at 9pm for the offer. I mean I know people here work long hours but geez 8:30am - 9pm... this will take me some time to get used to.

What sort of job is this for anyway? It's a bit weird for internal HR to be calling at 9pm (or even to be working, for that matter). It might imply that you have a little leverage here.

If it's a recruiter, that's another thing entirely- they work odd hours.

>> How do people usually go to interviews if they work a full time mon-sat job?

We've always interviewed afterhours if the candidate indicated that they could not make it during office hours.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast