moving to Hong Kong after graduation to work... possible?

moving to Hong Kong after graduation to work... possible?

Back in Canada and homesick as ever! This is probably my impulsive mind talking but I want to live in HK and start my career there. I'm 21, graduating next year with a BBA in business (very general program though) and willing to get any entry level office job. I speak decent Cantonese but cannot read nor write. I lack experience, done some office jobs but definitely not sufficient to be considered especially in Canada!

So I'm confused as to how to plan this out. What should I do, and what are my chances of finding success there?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I don't know about finding an entry-level office job but do you realise how little that would pay? It could be tough.

You are not going to find a job remotely. If you want one you should be here. Also would be difficult to hire you ie given that the employer would not be able to find a local with your skill set.

It's going to be tough. It will be easier if you have a lot of family and/or friends here to depend on because you will have a cost free base to look for jobs.

With such a general degree it is not obvious what your career path is - you need to know what your career path is and take action to implement the chosen career path plan. So you may want to be an accountant (enrol on to a professional body course), you want to be a financier (enrol on the CFA), you want to be a lawyer (enrol on to a law course), etc. That would increase your chances with getting into the quality Anglo/American/European firms where local language is not a necessity and who may offer to support you with your studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I don't know about finding an entry-level office job but do you realise how little that would pay? It could be tough.
    Gotta start somewhere though, right? I don't have a professional degree so it's gonna be tough to jump to a prestigious firm just like that. The pay isn't much better in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISM:
    You are not going to find a job remotely. If you want one you should be here. Also would be difficult to hire you ie given that the employer would not be able to find a local with your skill set.
    That's true

What if I get a professional license for something such as insurance brokerage, property appraisal or immigration services?

Thanks for the replies, it's giving me a better idea of what I need to do.

Well I just graduated from uni in Canada and came back and yep the competition seems really tough.

And for all they say about English being a great asset - I find that unless you're teaching English exclusively or working only with foreign firms that are catering to other parts of the world (i.e. communications) Chinese fluency is actually quite important.

If you can, try to take a course in Chinese writing or just to brush up in general. For one thing, they speak fast so even if you've got fluent Canto in canada it might be hard to catch what they're saying and if you want an edge you'd probably want to look sharp. :P

But, having said all that, I kind of find that at least there are many more job listings here than in Toronto or Vancouver where I was looking. :-) And from what I've read in other threads - your first job probably has a pretty low pay, but you can fish for better ones as you go.