Moving to HK and wondering about employment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: HK or UK?!

Originally posted by Vivelle
    As a Gwai Lo, I'm sure you can find a job teaching English there. It's very popular in Asia (more so in Japan and Korea). As long as you look white, it doesn't matter what your qualifications are, they'd like you for it.
    Yes...I know somebody who earn HKD35000 per month by just teaching English 3 hours per day!

TXTransplant

WOW!!

Are you serious...$35K per month for 3 hours a day. What kind of experience do they have to get this kind of pay? I'm looking at moving to HK with my wife and toyed with the idea of teaching English, but I didn't think that it would pay that well. Please tell me more...where do you go to find a job like that!!!

HK$500 an hour will let you make $35K. One would need a good client list for that. Actually you can make that if you throw in some high school level physics, chemistry etc.

Check out bigenglish.com if you're interested in teaching English.

Would you need to have qualifications such as Education degree or teaching cert/experience to start tutoring?

Originally posted by pizzaMui
    Would you need to have qualifications such as Education degree or teaching cert/experience to start tutoring?
    You definately need the qualifications to make the $$$. English conversational tutoring does not pay that much.

I have a friend with and education degree going for her masters in Education. She has been debating whether a good living can be made in HK teaching.

My mother's ex-workcolleague moved to Hong Kong to become a biology teacher (she's extremely qualified, having worked in one of the top girls schools in England alongside my mum)... not sure if she teaches English too. But anyway, in comparison to the UK, professional teaching in Hong Kong is apparently very good - comfortable jobs, reasonable pay, made up for by the lower living costs here too.

So if you're a teacher in the UK, Hong Kong seems like a good choice.

I considered doing some English language teaching, but then realised I'm not *that* qualified, and more importantly, I hate little kids

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2