HK$ 38k / Month + Benifits - Good? bad? Ugly?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HK$ 38k / Month + Benifits - Good? bad? Ugly?

I've been recently offered a Job in HK with HK$ 38k / month plus Medical, Life & travel Insurance, Provident fund & relocations costs etc., just wanna get a feel if this is going to keep us alive..

We are a young couple in mid/late twenties, Like the urban lifestyle & can surely fit in to a shoe box if no choice..with home cooked meals etc (did that in sinagpore together and loved it).

We love to host few friends for Dinner & drinks over the weekends & over to the the Pub/club for coupla shots or Sunday BBQ's at the Beach.

We are quite energetic & routine includes a gym, swimming & jogging.. & any other sporting activities that comes along.

Oh.. & we love to travel too, we normally Budget travel 3-4 times an year.

I give you above so you can get a drift of what kinda lifestyle we are looking at..

My wife intend to find a job once she moves to HK too, so that should add some extra bucks to our spending capacity.

However we do hope to make some savings too along the line...

Any break up of cost on Tax, Rent & Utilities, Meals, Transport, Gym/Swimming memberships, Night out in downtown etc would help..

Shed some light people...

38K can be a lot or can be not enough, it just depends on where u wanna live, accomodation can be a killer with the budget.

i agree, it is all about the rent. You can either pay 6k per month or 20k.
    However, the salary is alright since it includes medical insurance.

HK$38k/mth is do-able but depends where you want to live. You want the beach/BBQ and sports, so I assume you don't want to live in the concrete jungles.

As a suggestion, you can't do much worse than where I live - Sai Sha Ma On Shan. You can pick up a 707sq ft for around 6-7k. Gym is Physical in Shatin which will be HK$200pp/mth. Ma On Shan has a modern 50m pool and entry is like HK$20. Sai Sha is a great place for jogging. And BBQ facilities, self, pay as you go or buffet variety. Golf ranges at around HK$50/hr and Sai Kung beach 20 mins away. Even if you work in Central, it's quite convenient from Ma On Shan with bus and train services.

Tax, you are looking at HK$2.5-3k/mth. I think around HK$2k for groceries and another HK$1k for utilities will be about right. Travel to work, stick on another HK$2k. So then, you have roughly HK$20-23k/mth to do as you wish (spend on entertainment, shopping, saving)

You could also look at any places on the West NT side, such as the Gold Coast, they offer the same kind of thing.

Last edited by ray98; 21-09-2009 at 10:53 AM.

One of the main considerations is where will you be working and how far are you willing to travel and also whther you will be likely to pull all nighters.

38k is more than twice as much as i make and my salary is pretty good for hong kong (locals, not amongst expats).

as long as you dont splash the cash on fancy restaurants and expensive items all the time, and can rent a fairly nice flat at about 15k a month, then you should be fine and even have some savings for your budget holidays.

Thanks guys..

Ray98 - Thanks for your very informative response.
    I'm very interested in knowing how long will it take to commute from Ma on Shan to Kwun Tong, Kowloon? How many Bus/Train Interchanges I need to take?

Would it be closer if I travel from Gold Coast to Kwun Tong?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Callin:
    Thanks guys..

Ray98 - Thanks for your very informative response.
    I'm very interested in knowing how long will it take to commute from Ma on Shan to Kwun Tong, Kowloon? How many Bus/Train Interchanges I need to take?

Would it be closer if I travel from Gold Coast to Kwun Tong?
    Ma On Shan to Kwun Tong - 2 ways, bus or train/MTR.

Bus, assuming no traffic problems, you're looking at 30 mins. But that's a big assumption

Safer way, KCR to Tai Wai (25mins), then KCR to Kowloon Tong (5 mins), then MTR to Kwun Tong (10-15 mins)

I have no idea for the time from Gold Coast, but maybe another regular poster MovingIn07 may be able to help as she lives in Gold Coast, but I suspect maybe more difficult.

Also, if you're working in Kwun Tong, places near Hang Hau or Tseung Kwan O may be better for you.
    Last edited by ray98; 21-09-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Tseung Kwan O would be a nice place to live as some of the residential complexes there have all the facilities that you would use.

You would be above an MTR station and a couple (or three) stops from Kwun Tong. Not far from Kowloon Bay either. Closer to Kwun Tong than (Shatin or Gold Coast).
    Posted via Mobile Device

gold coast is clear on the opposite side of hk as kwun tong. ma on shan is at least on the same side of city.

as for $2k budget for food.... i think you should double that at least. i$4k may be too much, but i believe that $2k may not be enough, especially if you like to entertain at home. $2k is enough if you ONLY eat local and never buy any luxuries.

as for location... i would also look at tseung kwan o or clearwater bay. if you want city living, you could look at LAGUNA CITY. it is between kwun tong and lam tin. it's a complex of about 30 buildings (i can't remember exactly). they are very close to the water and the prices are fairly reasonable. not only that it would be either a short mini-bus ride away or a short taxi ride. there is a "park" a the side of the complex that has a jogging track around it. there is also a clubhouse that you can use with a gym and pool. (i lived there about 9 years ago, so i have no idea what kind of shape the area is in now, but we quite enjoyed it when we were there.)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast