Is Salary Negotiation Normal?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Plutodog18:
    I have been contacted by a high end recruiting firm to fill a senior management role in HK. I am from the US.

The agency has made a point twice to advise what the "top" amounts are for this company for both salary and housing allowance. Both amounts are substantial, but not by US standards (and I understand HK cost of living is high).

I realize the agency is working for the company. Should I proceed with the thought that salary and housing allowance are truly negotiable? For a bit more I would accept the offer (if and when it is official).

Thanks for your assistance
    Well, firstly, you should work out what is the net in your pocket spending power after tax and housing. You are a US citizen, which sux because you are subject to global taxation, but you do get breaks for double tax. In addition, you should work out your housing budget. In HK, a lot of execs spend anything from HK$20k-HK$60k, so again depends.

As with any negotiation, you don't have to accept the offer, you can counter offer on the grounds of your market worth based on objective facts like salary trends for your position . Alternatively, you can take a risk by taking a lower monthly salary, compensated by either mandatory of discretionary bonus based on performance.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ray98; 28-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Well aren't we judgemental!! I praise you for your omniscence and attitude. If I was such a simpleton why did you waste your time
    responding?? Could it be that you have no agenda other than begin negative and spewing bad karma???

And while, I praise anyone who posts here to help others, perhaps it could be said that anyone who has posted 11,200 times might be said as not having a life or a bedside manner towards others.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors.
    Pluto, in mitigation, PDLM does offer some good advice sometimes but unfortunately, some "unhelpful" comments at times too. Apparently he is a retiree so does have a lot of time on his hands. My advice, if you see something you don't like on a public forum, go above it

Should I proceed with the thought that salary and housing allowance are truly negotiable?

yes of course

Thanks to all who had objective advice and added to the conversation. I appreciate your thoughts as I always try to learn and then be respectful of other cultures and social mores.

In my travels I have encountered many things in life as well as business that are not the same at all in the US or UK. Negotiating in business can be one of those tricky moments when you need to do it correctly so as to not insult your "host".

My intent here from the beginning was to learn what is and perhaps not correct.

Thank you again.

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with being extra cautious about the different nuances of a new culture. If anywhere, Asia is probably the place where it is particularly useful to be aware of these things so, at least from my perspective, your questions were totally understandable.

The agency has made a point twice to advise what the "top" amounts are for this company for both salary and housing allowance. Both amounts are substantial, but not by US standards (and I understand HK cost of living is high).

I realize the agency is working for the company. Should I proceed with the thought that salary and housing allowance are truly negotiable? For a bit more I would accept the offer (if and when it is official).

Thanks for your assistance]
    There is nothing about the HK culture that precludes haggling.

If you read your post carefully, you'll realize you've basically said that the offer is too low but you would accept the job for more. Maybe that's why your post was so......

So ask! Not like you'll offend anyone and they'll send some Triads to your home in the States (they'll wait for you at customs should you ever decide to visit Asia

Should I proceed with the thought that salary and housing allowance are truly negotiable? For a bit more I would accept the offer (if and when it is official).

You wont accept the job unless you get more money.
    You have nothing to lose if you negotiate.
    What's your question??