Thinking to look for job in HK!

Question Thinking to look for job in HK!

Hi all, i'm a malaysian lady who work as an Interior Designer in Singapore for 4 years. I'm thinking to leave Singapore next year and look for job in HK! Do you guys have any idea on the salary for an ID?

The primary issue is not the salary, it's proving to Immigration's satisfaction that there isn't a HK Permanent Resident who could do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The primary issue is not the salary, it's proving to Immigration's satisfaction that there isn't a HK Permanent Resident who could do the job.
    I see. So do you think foreigner is difficult to find ID job in HK?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You may be able to find a job but, as PDLM points out, the Immigration Department has to be convinced that there are no locals or PRs who could also do the job.

Do you have exceptional ID skills, international portfolio, etc.? You need to stand out from the 'crowd'.

Although having said that, some employers will only look at candidates with the right to work here and won't sponsor an employment visa.

Do you have contacts in the industry you could contact? Networking for a job is important here so it might be a place to start.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You may be able to find a job but, as PDLM points out, the Immigration Department has to be convinced that there are no locals or PRs who could also do the job.

Do you have exceptional ID skills, international portfolio, etc.? You need to stand out from the 'crowd'.

Although having said that, some employers will only look at candidates with the right to work here and won't sponsor an employment visa.

Do you have contacts in the industry you could contact? Networking for a job is important here so it might be a place to start.
    Hi Claire, thanks for your advise. Besides Diploma in ID, I have Diploma in Mass Communication, and I have Japanese Language Skills. Guess I should polish my portfolio and prepare a good CV in order for me to stand out from the 'crowd'
    Moreover, I do not have any contacts in the industry at HK. What I am thinking is to search for job through online job agencies.

your probably need a master or above qualification to obtain a visa... this what my company's HR department told me

my application was approved within 3 weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by anthonylei:
    your probably need a master or above qualification to obtain a visa... this what my company's HR department told me

my application was approved within 3 weeks....
    Hi Anthony, thanks for your information. For a master and above, that's sound difficult for me where are you from?

i saw this paragraph from a webpage:
    "Work Permits
    It's getting more and more difficult for foreigners to obtain a Hong
    Kong work permit. They must have a special skill to have a good
    chance of finding work in Hong Kong. There are three approaches to
    getting a work permit.

If a candidate secures a position with a Hong Kong company before
    arrival, the company will sponsor the applicant for a work permit. The
    company must prove that it cannot find a qualified candidate for the
    position within Hong Kong."

Quote Originally Posted by ylamb:
    Hi Anthony, thanks for your information. For a master and above, that's sound difficult for me where are you from?

i saw this paragraph from a webpage:
    "Work Permits
    It's getting more and more difficult for foreigners to obtain a Hong
    Kong work permit. They must have a special skill to have a good
    chance of finding work in Hong Kong. There are three approaches to
    getting a work permit.

If a candidate secures a position with a Hong Kong company before
    arrival, the company will sponsor the applicant for a work permit. The
    company must prove that it cannot find a qualified candidate for the
    position within Hong Kong."
    you probability are not aware the current hk university graduates are having a very difficult time to obtain a job. Most of them got a bachelor degree. Imagine 20 - 30 of uni graduates fighting for a 6000 hkd job.....

There are exceptions, like civil engineering

A master degree makes you stand out from them (just by a small margin) but enough for the immigration to consider you as 'required' skill for hk

Ok.. thanks anthony.. however, i will still try it out with best resume & portfolio