View Poll Results: How long have you've been jobless?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 1month

8 16.00%
  • less than 3months

10 20.00%
  • more than 3months

8 16.00%
  • 6months up

24 48.00%

How long have you've been jobless?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

1. Do you speak Cantonese? -- Yes, mandarin as well
    2. How long have you been in HK? -- 3 months
    3. Your nationality? -- Canadian
    4. Industry or previous position? -- Finance/Banking
    5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before? -- No.

Well sorry I'm not jobless. I was jobless for around 2 weeks or so when I first arrived in Hong Kong. I literally applied for anything administrative and banking related. I had an excel file which kept my spam applications organized. Well it's not really spamming, I did send each resume and cover letter one by one. Just that I applied to everything. I think within the first 2 weeks, I've sent out 400+ resumes. Then I got my first job offer and started working very soon.

I honestly think the job market is really picking up now. I continued to look for a better job, and I just received an amazing offer. I just resigned from my current job, and I'll be starting my new job in 2 weeks. At the same time, I have received 2 other job offers, which I have already turned down. And people are still calling me for interviews. I guess they don't shortlist their resumes that quickly. But anyways.

If you've been out of work for quite some time now, I think you should be less picky. If the pay is lower than before, just take it. If it shows that you've been out of work for so long, they will question. Look for temp jobs, look for agencies to help you.

In the meantime, the ones that don't speak Chinese and are planning on staying in Hong Kong, why not take a couple of chinese courses while you wait for a job opportunity? Don't think that you speak fluent English will put you in an advantage. Tons of Kongers have overseas education and speak fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin (such as myself), degree holders, with several years of work experiences. If you're not getting the opportunities, and polish your resume. Perhaps you need to find a way to upgrade your qualifications a. Get some extra trainings and certifications, learn a new language. Good luck to you all.

(but honestly.. the job market is looking pretty good now to me. I've never received so many offers at the same time.)

1. Do you speak Cantonese?
    Yes, also Hakka, British English and semi-fluent with Japanese

2. How long have you been in HK?
    I come, stay a few months then go..

3. Your nationality?
    Why is this relevant?
    British, 香港ID★★★

4. Industry or previous position?
    Graphic Designer

5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before?
    Not currently unemployed...
    and No, I'm not willing to take a reduction in pay.
    Want cheaper service? Find another designer!

I'm Freelance - corporate only.
    Last edited by stylecode; 25-12-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: additonal info.

Well sorry I'm not jobless. I was jobless for around 2 weeks or so when I first arrived in Hong Kong. I literally applied for anything administrative and banking related. I had an excel file which kept my spam applications organized. Well it's not really spamming, I did send each resume and cover letter one by one. Just that I applied to everything. I think within the first 2 weeks, I've sent out 400+ resumes. Then I got my first job offer and started working very soon.
    Biubiubiu, do you mind me asking, did you already have the right to work in HK on arrival or did you require sponsorship?

I arrived in HK a couple of weeks ago to look for work in banking (after a transfer with my company in the UK sadly fell through - headcount restrictions), and most of this thread is a little disheartening! I realise it's very early days for me, but HK is an expensive place to live without a job and it concerns me how long some people have been out of work - I can't really afford to live here for too long without a salary.

I DON'T have the right to work here (require sponsorship), and I'm getting mixed feelings from the recruitment agents I've visited. Some seem pretty optimistic, others not so much. I have a few years experience, but I don't have a degree, which makes English teaching in the interim out of the question.

I am happy to take other work in the meantime (admin etc.) so at least I'm earning something, but I very much doubt anyone would give me such a job without a work permit.

I have a pretty confident of finding something if I can get to the interview stage, but I'm worried that reaching that stage in the first place is gonna be difficult. What do others think? Am I gonna have a tough time finding something at the moment?

One other question - how many recruitment agents do you recommend dealing with? Obviously I want the best chance of finding a job, but there are only a limited number of banks and I'm worried if I deal with too many agents they'll be tripping over each other.

I'm still finding my feet at the moment so any advice or information is greatly appreciated! Cheers!!

1. Do you speak Cantonese?
    No but I'm interested to learn.
    2. How long have you been in HK?
    5 yrs.
    3. Your nationality?
    Filipino
    4. Industry or previous position?
    Product Engineer
    5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before?
    No.

I like this thread as I feel I'm about to find a new job 2Q of this year.
    Good luck guys, gals..

Still jobless since begining of October.....

1. Do you speak Cantonese? Yes but still improving...

2. How long have you been in HK? Since the end of september

3. Your nationality? British born chinese

4. Industry or previous position? Working with database for local council.

5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before? Yes so i dont get to mad sitting at home doing nothing

hey all,
    Cheer up for a better year 2010!
    Hope all of you have a job soon.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6