View Poll Results: How long have you've been jobless?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 1month

8 16.00%
  • less than 3months

10 20.00%
  • more than 3months

8 16.00%
  • 6months up

24 48.00%

How long have you've been jobless?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How long have you've been jobless?

I am feeling really down lately as I have been unemployed for quite sometime now. Standard of living in HK is quite expensive and it's really affecting my family life.
    Just wondering if you are also finding it hard to find a new job as I never experienced this before. Before, the ball is on the applicant's side, we even have the option to turn down job offers. Well, obviously that is not the case now.

I even been to an interview (a lot of applicants in the waiting area) for an entry position and I've gone through: Interview w/Manager ---> 1-hour written exam (in essay form)---> 2nd Interview w/Manager---> 3rd Interview: w/ HR ---> 4th interview w/ Manager, HR & Director

To gain a little more perspective and out of curiosity, please feel free to answer the following: (optional)

1. Do you speak Cantonese?
    2. How long have you been in HK?
    3. Your nationality?
    4. Industry or previous position?
    5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before?

Please, please, please tell me I am not alone

Jobless for almost 4months
    1. I don't speak Cantonese
    2. Years in HK- 11years
    3. Filipino
    4. Varied industry - general admin/customer service - supervisory position
    5. Yes, lower salary is OK

i've never been jobless. i've always made my own work.

Good for you, Carang!
    Unfortunately, I do not have the means to start on my own.

1. No Cantonese
    2. 3 years
    3. Filipino Chinese
    4. I.T.
    5. Yes, but hopefully I do not have to

About 7 months now.

1. No.
    2. 10 years
    3. HK PR (why is my nationality relevant?)
    4. Telecoms VP
    5. Not planning to get a regular job again.

And in answer to the person who red blobbed me with "no wonder you are so grumpy...", not at all. I'm delighted never to have to slog to an office 9-5 ever again. Who wouldn't be?

hi PDLM, sorry if the question re: nationality somehow offended you.
    It's just that my friend is now involved with a case being investigated by Equal Opportunities Commision re: Discrimination against Filipinos during Job Application. I could send you the details if you wish, there's an online petition going on but it involves another expat website and a popular expat company so I am not sure if it's appropriate to post it here.
    I was just curious if a lot of Filipinos out there are jobless or maybe I am just being too nosy (sorry, but the questions are optional anyways)

Happy that you are enjoying your irregular job!
    For me, irregular, regular, extraordinary or whatever.... i just need any kind of job

Ah - I see what you mean. To be honest I know places that prefer Filipinos (quite a few F&B establishments) and a few that don't. I'm sure there are plenty of places that prefer Brits (like me) and plenty of others that prefer Septics (Americans). I was always fortunate that it was never a problem for me, but Mrs PDLM (having spent a few months working at Great which had no problem with Filipinos) is currently running our businesses in the Philippines since, frankly, she can earn more doing that than she ever could in Hong Kong.

1. Do you speak Cantonese? Yes and Spanish, some Putonghua, a little Korean

2. How long have you been in HK? - 9 Months on and off

3. Your nationality? The US of A

4. Industry or previous position? Engineer, Real Estate and Stock Investor, Electronics Factory Owner, Pharma Company owner

5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before? Hell no! Have some dignity, dont ever downgrade.

Hi eloisaflores,

You're not alone.

I've sent A LOT of emails with my CV to employers online. They call me back to ask about my visa status etc. and they stop calling me after that.

To answer your questions:

1. Do you speak Cantonese?
    Zero

2. How long have you been in HK?
    A month and 1 week...VERY desperate to find a job as soon as possible.

3. Your nationality?
    Filipino

4. Industry or previous position?
    Call centre support/supervisory role (Quality assurance monitor)

5. Are you willing to get a lower salary than before?
    No, not willing, but I probably got no choice and will just have to take whatever job comes along. I'm expecting salary here to be a bit higher compared to salary in Philippines.

I've been greatly considering to do the walk-in application, however, as I'm new here in HK, I'm not really sure where to go. Want to go job hunting with me?

Cheers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast