Marketing Salary?

Closed Thread

Marketing Salary?

I was wondering what was an appropriate salary for a Brand Manager or Marketing Manager here in Hong Kong. I have an MBA from a U.S. program (Top 5) and 6-7 years of experience: 2 years in FMCG, 1.5 years in Retail and 3 years in consulting.

700-750HKD per year would be comparable to my last salary -- already calculated the tax structure differences, etc. Is this too much? people are telling me that salary is for someone with 10+ years experience.

thanks for your help.

I think that's very reasonable. The tough part is finding a company that is reasonable.

Help.......

My partner is coming with me to HK and works in the Marketing (coms) field. Is there anyone we can talk to or a contact for possible work. She will need to be sponsored?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

I don't understand why people move to hk without a job ready? And also she needs sponsorship? Thats not going to happen or shall I say extremely hard for that to happen. I would not come to hk unless you have a job offer. HK COL is very high compared to other places. Also the job market right now is not good, meaning their are more people looking for jobs and then their are jobs. I would tell your gf to stay right where shes at until she gets a job offer with sponsorship.

To be honest Micci it's pretty unlikely someone would get a job in HK unless they were here, with a local address and phone number on the CV - otherwise it will go straight in the bin. This is what I've been told by recruiters anyway. That is unless what you do is very much in demand.

Of course you can't "move" to HK without an employment visa, but you can come on holiday. Technically you're not meant to be looking for work whilst on holiday here, but it's very difficult to differentiate between job hunting and networking.

That's exactly what people told me...Besides, I am sort of in the same situation as Neil's partner so sometimes life just takes you places and you can't plan perfectly.

Neils -- I heard that Internal Communications is a field that is not well developed here in Hong Kong so they tend to hire expats for them. Lots of financial services and law firms seem to recruit for them.

Beanieskies -- do you know if they track if you are looking for jobs while on "holiday"? I use the job boards and send my resume out to companies that I find interesting...which is definitely separate from networking!

Anyways - thanks everyone.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Just FYI, ambition.biz has salary surveys on its website.

anais

I tend to stick to the networking route, but that's the main way for my industry.

No idea, but I would have thought they have better things to do even if they technically could. Like trying to crack down on all these language schools that seem to employ people without a visa, fobbing them off that the application is being processed, and then not pay them. Has anyone ever heard of these language centres getting caught though?

Last edited by Beanieskis; 13-10-2009 at 01:21 PM.

ill bump this because one of my friends is debating whether to take a web marketing job at 14k a month. does he have any room to negotiate without experience/no other prospects thus far?

Quote Originally Posted by mzero:
    ill bump this because one of my friends is debating whether to take a web marketing job at 14k a month. does he have any room to negotiate without experience/no other prospects thus far?
    No. That actually sounds like a good salary without experience.