Teaching Salary... again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

used to work in kindergarten - have PGCE in secondary so guessing this afected salary - earnt $25k a month

Dave/oneyedog

I have a combined honours degree in Eng language and Eng Literature and need a TEFOL or TESOL qualification to teach abroad. The courses are expensive and some offer jobs in Asia and act as 'middlemen' thus taking a cut of what schools are willing to pay you. It is difficult to be objective in ones's choices, not knowing for certain what is best. I spent some time holidaying in HK last June and was impressed with the city. When I have completed one of the above courses, would it be acceptable to negotiate with the HK education board ( or individual school) on a one to one basis?

Last edited by oneyedog; 30-10-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: better re-phrasing of my question

Oneyedog - With a degree in English and a TEFL/TESOL qualification you can apply for the Primary NET scheme (altho not Secondary). If you haven't got a PGCE or equivalent, there's a cap on your basic salary at around $29,000 (which you'd reach with about 8 years' experience I think - can't remember for sure). But, you also get about $14,000 special allowance to cover housing, etc. so it's a very well paying job compared to what small private schools are able to pay.

NETs in the EdB's scheme are largely recruited centrally through the incredibly bureaucratic EdB....so no one to one negotiations with them! Be aware though - the term NET is used generally for Native English Teacher so you'll see lots of adverts for 'NET's in the local press but most of those schools aren't part of the EdB scheme and so are unlikely to pay as well or offer the special allowance.

Last edited by ArKay; 31-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.

private language salary

it is about 20,000 HKD for a private school but they don't pay you overtime and they squeeze as much out of you as they can.

Can I jump in to this and ask what the usual holiday/vacation allowance is for the private teaching jobs? Do study centers close for certain parts of the year etc? Do you get the regular 10 days/2 weeks which is common in other job areas?

Quote Originally Posted by kryzlowski:
    Can I jump in to this and ask what the usual holiday/vacation allowance is for the private teaching jobs? Do study centers close for certain parts of the year etc? Do you get the regular 10 days/2 weeks which is common in other job areas?
    Probably working 5 or 6 day weeks. probably have to work Saturday or Sunday or both. Probably get around 10 days annual leave a year. You also get statutory holidays off. I doubt if study centres close for more than a couple of days - for example CNY and Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by kryzlowski:
    I don't understand, why can you not advertise the job along with the salary/wage you are offering? Then anyone you cannot afford will simply not apply for the job, saving their time and your time.

How many shops have you been in that display no prices, and when you ask how much something is the sales clerk says 'Well how much did you spend last time you bought an apple?', or 'what is your expected price per apple?'. I'm guessing never? Shops put prices on items so the customer can make their own mind up whether they can afford something before they start wasting anyone's time.
    There is a reaonable expectation and understanding as to the price of an apple. The value expectation of a potential employees value in terms of salary is open to wider variation for obvious reasons based on experience, training, qualifications etc. Even if two candidates for a job have similar work quals and expeience on paper there might still be other factors which the employer might reasonably expect to distinguish between the two. There ore the employer asking the candidates what their salary expectations are is not unreasonable from my pov.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2