Teaching Salary... again

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teaching Salary... again

apologies for asking about the teaching salary again, but the only answers I seem to find are about the NET program. I'm looking to teach in private school - kindergarten/elementary. I've been in contact with a school already but they've asked what my expected salary is, and i have no idea what to expect really. I have been teaching in S.Korea for 1.5 years and have a degree (not in education). Where could I start?

at a language school/kindergarten, you can expect anywhere from $15-25K/month.

you most likely won't get a job in an elementary school without an education degree, although it is possible, if you go to have your teaching status ascertained. you may be allowed as a "permitted teacher", in which case your salary will be less than someone with a teaching degree. (AFAIK)

I can't stand the whole 'state your expected salary' business. It really does my head in. Back in the UK (where is happens far less) when it did happen I always used to think there was an element of character judgment linked to your answer. In the Hong Kong English teaching industry however, I can only see it being an opportunity to rip you off if you say a lower salary than they are prepared to pay.

The going rate per hour is at least $200, rising with experience. That said, there are a fair few bad, underpaid jobs advertised quoting between $150 and $200 per hour - I'd avoid these if you can.

as someone who runs a playgroup centre, i have to ask what the expected salary is. NOT so that i can underpay, if what they are expecting but so that i will know if i can afford what they are hoping for. i don't want to waste their time and i think they don't want to waste their time interviewing etc for a job that won't pay what they believe they are worth.

as someone who has in the past looked for a job, i, too HATE the question.

I don't understand, why can you not advertise the job along with the salary/wage you are offering? Then anyone you cannot afford will simply not apply for the job, saving their time and your time.

How many shops have you been in that display no prices, and when you ask how much something is the sales clerk says 'Well how much did you spend last time you bought an apple?', or 'what is your expected price per apple?'. I'm guessing never? Shops put prices on items so the customer can make their own mind up whether they can afford something before they start wasting anyone's time.

i didn't actually advertise the last time i hired someone. they approached me.

to be honest, i do have an idea in my mind of what i can afford to pay, as i'm sure employees have an idea in their mind what they want to earn. previously, when i hired, i DID advertise the rate i was willing to pay and was inundated with applications, even though people on this forum slammed me saying i was asking for slave labour. well, it's been over a year now, the employee concerned is still with me. has had a raise and loves her job!...

as for shops not having prices... well, in HK there are lots of them....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i didn't actually advertise the last time i hired someone. they approached me.
    It wouldn't bother me anywhere close to as much (if at all) being asked what salary I expect if I was the one who approached an employer out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i DID advertise the rate i was willing to pay and was inundated with applications, even though people on this forum slammed me saying i was asking for slave labour. well, it's been over a year now, the employee concerned is still with me. has had a raise and loves her job!...
    So... you've just given an example of advertising a salary that went successfully!

I know it's easy for me to say .. but as long as you are paying the market rate then anyone slamming you for alleged underpaying should be ignored and should mind their own business.

As for shops in HK that don't display prices, ok you got me, I actualyl can think of some exceptions. But, if I asked how much something was they would still tell me straight up, even if they were open to some negotiation. I think what this all comes down to is who instigates negotiations. I personally feel that anyone who puts a product.. service.. or in this case a job out there to the public should be the first to name a price. If I went into one of above-said shops and they wanted me to name a price first, I'd walk straight out.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by kryzlowski:
    I don't understand, why can you not advertise the job along with the salary/wage you are offering? Then anyone you cannot afford will simply not apply for the job, saving their time and your time.
    But then you get people responding who are only interested in the salary and are totally unqualified for the job. Yes, people are stupid enough to do that.

Well if I were an employer I'd avoid all the awkward salary questions and/or negotiating and state the pay straight up. I'd also reiterate the job's skill/experience/qualification requirements with the words 'absolutely must have..' and then any CVs I get without what I asked for would go straight in the bin. I guess it's down to each person, but that is how I would play it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast