Dinner Allowance

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steven878:
    Little bit off topic but i work in europe and start at 8 am and leaving the office at 4 pm. Guess this is not done there in hong kong? I will start my new job in November in hong kong for an American Financial organisation. So what work hours should I expect?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Done in some places, I work for a u.s financial and I do 8-5 but thats far from the norm, expect to work 10 hr days minimum dependant on your job role.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Those who are in control of their lives, yes.
    Or earning the minimum wage. Or none at all.

Steven, working in finance you can kiss your 4pm finishes goodbye. Nothing counts before 9am so even if you get in at 7 no one cares and unless you have an amazing and reasonable boss (haven't heard of many of them here) you'll have to work to 6 as a minimum. If you're at a reasonable level there's little chance you'll be leaving before 7. I'm assuming that when you say you work in finance you work in banking. Maybe other industries are different but haven't heard of many being able to get home at a reasonable hour.

Kindof have to disagree there with Aussiegal

In your eyes define Minimum wage? $30k a month? $10k?

My hours are fixed as part of my contract and I work either 8-5 or 9-6 and the latter only when the clocks go back in the u.s, I assure you I am on far from minimum wage neither am I on a lowly jobrole.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    Or earning the minimum wage.
    i was under the impression that DHs worked much longer hours than normal

I do about 12 hours a day (have been known to do up to 16), five-day week and I'd say at least 10 hours is the average around here, unless you're on a junior grade then it's not so expected that you work outside our core office hours of 9-5:30. Management is, however, expected to work whatever it takes to get things done, and to adjust their office hours to meet whatever demand is there.

As aussiegal wrote, it doesn't matter how early you get in, it won't mean an early end to your day - that's just not the 'done thing' here.

I work exactly the same hours as I did when I was in NZ and AUstralia - a minimum of 32 a week (by choice, on 80% pay) or more if the job requires it (usually does). This includes work at 7am - my boss does not care when (or where) I work as long as the job gets done. From what I have seen, companies that are predominantly branches of international firms full of international staff (this may or may not apply to you) tend to be similar to whatever the general international company culture is. The local ones, however, seem to follow the rules others have indicated - start late, finish late and work only counts if the boss sees you at your desk. I would go crazy in an organisation like that!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Kindof have to disagree there with Aussiegal

In your eyes define Minimum wage? $30k a month? $10k?

My hours are fixed as part of my contract and I work either 8-5 or 9-6 and the latter only when the clocks go back in the u.s, I assure you I am on far from minimum wage neither am I on a lowly jobrole.
    You expect Aussiegal to know anything about minimum wage (or the lack thereof) in this country?

And if any employer demands long hours by default but doesnt care what time you start then I'd very much look for a different place to work at. The hours before the office gets busy are usually the most productive, and nothing tastes better than a 9:30 breakfast when you know you already did a good share of your daily workload.

Er2

I asked her what she defines as minimum wage in her eyes.
    Not what the government or anybody else thinks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Steven878:
    Little bit off topic but i work in europe and start at 8 am and leaving the office at 4 pm. Guess this is not done there in hong kong? I will start my new job in November in hong kong for an American Financial organisation. So what work hours should I expect?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    really depends in what role. i assume you don't work in an IB in Europe else you would not be doing 8-4.
    assuming you are in a normal role (retail, commercial, asset mgt) you can expect 9-6 for sure. usually you would get your work done by 6pm. if you work longer in an international bank, then it's not to please the boss (that would be in a local firm) but rather to deliver the extra 10% performance that puts you ahead in bonus/promotion discussions.
    in my office, (very) juniors and admin staff leaves sharp 6pm. 75% leaves at 7pm and the ambitious 25% stay longer. only 1-3 people after 8pm though

OK guys, Aussiegirl probably did not express it the right way (correct me if wrong Aussiegril) but what she probably meant in response to PDLM fantastic e-mail stating that only ppl in control of their life finish at 6PM, is that a LOT of ppl who finishes at 6 PM are in fact CLERK, SECRETARIAL STAFF....(again not ALL but A LOT) and that for a lot of ppl at management level, or in banking, accounting... (or even in education - heck my wife seldom gets home before 8.30 / 9 PM) you usually finish later than 6PM.

Of course PDLM will come back and tell us that he managed 150 Mio PNL during 10 years in HK and every day left the office at 6PM to have a beer in wan chai...but we are not all god and sometime we do work past 6 PM...volunarty or not.