Freelancing in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

1) I quoted you verbatim so how could I twist your words?
    2)You haven't upset me at all - I'm giving you advice - if you choose not to take it that's up to you & won't be my loss.
    3)

So if your own family look down on you for doing something you love...
    ; again - you are measuring by your western standards and not understanding at all, nor trying to understand why there is a different point of view. Can you think why a family might want (in particular a son) to get a stable job with a respected employer and why this might be seen as 'supportive' of the family as a whole not unsupportive of an individual (being selfish)? Can you then understand the historical reasons for this so that say when you are in a meeting with prospective Asian clients you can tread carefully when discussing family and business?

If my posts with very light criticism and advice cause you to get your back up so fast then you'd best grow a thicker skin if you are going to work in Asia. The airport regularly flies back out people who thought that it was a case of turning up, smiling and saying 'I will show you...'. Most of the people who succeed are people who spent a while listening and watching & learning.
    Last edited by Load Toad; 11-11-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Ignore the Toad. He sometimes has useful insights but often seems to delight in getting a rise out of folks. You just rose . Come here and have fun - my husband subcontracts for international firms - it's all possible - somethings are hard, some are easier. It'll all be a good learning experience at worst.
    Ouch, well and truly hooked! Thanks for the warm tone. I'm jumping in 2-footed straight into the deep-end in HK... work hard, play hard. It will be challenging and hard work I know, but if anything, it's gonna be an awesome experience!

Why can't all posters be like you?

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Most of the people who succeed are people who spent a while listening and watching & learning.
    Good advice... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Come here and have fun - my husband subcontracts for international firms - it's all possible - somethings are hard, some are easier. It'll all be a good learning experience at worst.
    Made rather easier by having a wife in a high-powered job and him therefore not needing to earn enough to eat...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Made rather easier by having a wife in a high-powered job and him therefore not needing to earn enough to eat...
    That's fair.

freelance

Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner:
    That's a bit weird. I would have thought freelancing would demonstrate a greater variety of skills and be looked upon very favourably? Any reasoning for their thinking? I understand it's very corporate in HK, so perhaps they judge you on your rank in a large company or the extent of your client list/portfolio and see freelancers as just unknown one man bands?

I dunno? But definitely have a lot to learn in HK!
    I've done the freelance thing in the UK and its a career choice not because you can't get full time work.

Have friends in UK who are IT contractors in banking and they refuse to go full-time, since they're on double the money of the perm staff...

Maybe in HK, instead of getting freelancers, they just get the existing staff to work 12hr days

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4