Building services consultant

Building services consultant

Hello,

I would like to pursue a more international career. I am an EU citizen, and would like to move to HK for work.

I am a fresh graduate from Uni. of technology with a Master's degree. In the country that I live in, it is very common to work in the field of your studies throughout your study period (which for me was 5 years). Therefore I have that much work experience in the building services consultancy sector. I am now working as a project engineer/consultant in this field for a relatively big company.

I sent my open cv to an HK company that I was interested in, and I just received an email from them requesting to inform them
    1. My expected package (salary, housing…etc)
    2. My status In Hong Kong (do I have permit to work in Hong Kong? Or do they have to apply one for me?)

I don't have a permit yet. I know it's hard to get a working visa for a foreign fresh graduate, but I do have a lot of working experience behind me despite my relatively young age. Also, the field that I am in, is so specific, that the best experts actually come from my home country and the publications in this field are mostly in my mother language.

The point in writing this, was to ask You for your opinion what an expected package for a (Assistant) Project Manager would be ok for HK standards? Now my salary is HKD 35,000 and I have 37 days of holidays/year.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

Hi MSc. engineer,
    Have you found out what the expected salary and compensation package should be, or negotiated one? I am in a similar situation: I have 7 years of experience in building (mechanical) services (HVAC) in Canada and hoping to work in Hong Kong. What is your opinion what the average salary should be? Any advice / resources etc. would be appreciated! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSc. engineer:
    Hello,

I would like to pursue a more international career. I am an EU citizen, and would like to move to HK for work.

I am a fresh graduate from Uni. of technology with a Master's degree. In the country that I live in, it is very common to work in the field of your studies throughout your study period (which for me was 5 years). Therefore I have that much work experience in the building services consultancy sector. I am now working as a project engineer/consultant in this field for a relatively big company.

I sent my open cv to an HK company that I was interested in, and I just received an email from them requesting to inform them
    1. My expected package (salary, housing…etc)
    2. My status In Hong Kong (do I have permit to work in Hong Kong? Or do they have to apply one for me?)

I don't have a permit yet. I know it's hard to get a working visa for a foreign fresh graduate, but I do have a lot of working experience behind me despite my relatively young age. Also, the field that I am in, is so specific, that the best experts actually come from my home country and the publications in this field are mostly in my mother language.

The point in writing this, was to ask You for your opinion what an expected package for a (Assistant) Project Manager would be ok for HK standards? Now my salary is HKD 35,000 and I have 37 days of holidays/year.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!

what is so specific about your work that only a person from the UK can do it? Your starting salary is way too high for a graduate engineer.

Hello

I am now in Hong Kong and will start working the first of March. I did not say that I was from the UK (which I am not from). I am from another EU country.

I don't know if there's anything THAT specific about my field, but back in my home country I did earn what I mentioned before. And now I negotiated a deal with a local company in the same industry that comprises of a HKD 40,000 salary + housing for a two-bedroom apartment.

I guess you should just try, give them your offer and see what they feel about it. After a few emails, we came to a mutual understanding.

Just go for it! Of course, you should base your requests on something valid. And in my case, I used my old salary as a base etc.

Cheers!