Hiring without interviewing

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hiring without interviewing

Hello,

I sent an open application to a company in HK that I was interested in. It's a consultant's position.

Surprisingly they sent me back an email asking for my salary and housing request + work visa issues. I am from the EU, so they need to apply a visa for me. I replied to them shortly.

They then sent an email back saying that my salary request is a bit high, but it's still ok (according to EU industry standards). And that they could apply a visa for me.

So, now they are considering about hiring me. Is this too good to be true? I have never seen this manager nor spoken to him on the phone or vice versa. Is this a common practice in HK?

Thanks!

Sounds like a scam to me. Have they asked you for any money yet?

Are they asking for some kind of "processing fee" other than the immigration department application fee?

Thanks so much for your quick answers!! No, the weird part is that thet haven't asked for any money or anything like that. They just truly seem to be interested in my professional background.

They are willing to pay quite a good salary, housing and flight tickets negotiable. So everything would come from their pockets. I should say tho, that I have heard good things about this 100% HK company, therefore I applied to work for them.

Not impossible.

Got a similar experience in 2002 although this was for a Trainee position ...not quite the expat thing.

They never interviewed me except towards the very end to confirm my arrival date (as by that time I had flown back to Europe for a few weeks holidays after my 6 months exchange program here) and a few other things.

Good to know Mat!

Let's see how things evolve. If this really works, I am quite pleased! I do have a job in my home country, but I am looking for new challenges, and I think HK would be excellent for these.

Did you give them references (people to ring who know you?). If yes, probably that is sufficient. As a consultant it's not unusual for us to win work based solely on a written proposal so it does not seem THAT odd to get a job this way. Abit unusual but not completely off.

MovingIn07,

No it's a relatively small company, and I just stumbled upon their webpage out of interest and sent them an open application and cv. Thus, no one has recommended me nor have I given any references. I suppose my application was enough. And it might well be that they will request for an interview later on. This is still in quite initial stages..

why don't you give them a call and see if you can speak to someone ? ask them a few Qs,

is it IT consultant ? may be they are more comfortable with just the online interview

I have been in contact with the sales and marketing manager of this specific company. He is in charge of recruitments. I haven't called him, as it might get quite expensive calling all the way from Europe on the phone.

It isn't in the IT or finance sector, more in the building services.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast