job opps in HK

Closed Thread

job opps in HK

Hi forum viewers,

I'm from Oz, chartered accountant but with a background in corporate planning/finance in IT and transport companies (also worked in PKF accounting firm as a grad). Had a six month stint last year the UK working for Lloyds TSB. Currently doing a part time mba.

Reason why I would like to come to HK is to spend more time with my parents. I have HKID (born in HK) but raised in Oz at an early age so my verbal cantonese, let's just say, is basic (cannot read).

what is the likilhood of finding a job and what salary is ok? i'm a mid level employee with 9 years exp earning just over A$100K per annum.

any advise on job websites, comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Yoda

Hey Fellow Aussie!!

Try www.michaelpage.com.hk

With the tax rate in AU, it's so no worth working here any longer!! I'm so propelling myself to HK in 2006!!! Are you from Sydney?

Happy Little Vegemite

thanks vegemite,

doing some tax sums, I reckon I need to earn at least HK$38K per month to breakeven based on my current salary, and to be honest if one is to make a move like this you want a fair incentive. So all things being equal i'm looking for a HK$50K job. I dont know how easy this is given my lack of cantonese skills - just a thought.

And it seems like all the english speaking finance jobs are banking related and unfortunately I dont have a lot of that, bar the 6 mths in the UK working for LTSB.

FYI I reside in Melbourne.

Any other comments welcomed - thanks heaps.

Hi Yoda76,

Yes, totally agree with you on the incentive bit. Have you had a look at the accommodation cost? Check out : http://www.proway.com.hk/ . Depending on where you want to live, the cost varies far and wide!! To be honest with you, I wouldn't consider anything less than 900k (or maybe i'm just a bit greedy ), you wouldn't want to be breaking-even with the hassle of moving overseas and giving up on such good Aussie produce here (me a food glutton ).

Wrt speaking Cantonese, it certainly helps but is not a preqrequisite especially in MNC's. I'm in a Biz Devlopment role (IT&T industry) and I had the initial worry of, "oh no, how am I going to talk telco jargon in canto"... but after some research I figured that it's not a deal-breaker in my plight to HK. I'm an Aussie Born Chinese with only conversational Canto skills and I seem to get by. Altho I get the strange *you're a Gwai Mui* look when i speak some times!!

I frequent Melb a fair bit for work so maybe it would be nice to be acquainted? When are you planning for the HK move?

Happy Little Vegemite