Hiring someone part-time

Closed Thread

Hiring someone part-time

Hi all,
    what's the deal with hiring someone part-time as a childcare worker or nanny? I have heard everything from "It's completely illegal and both you and he/she will be deported" to "It's so not a big deal, everyone looks the other way, it keeps the economy going" etc.

Are there *legal* ways to do it?
    Is it legal to, for example, share someone's contract and expenses?
    Is it legal for foreign domestic workers to live in rooming-houses?

I'm guessing that this topic has been dealt with many times before, but unfortunately a search on here produces only links to ads on here :P so if you have a good, informative link, please post it!

Thanks
    GM

Try googling this :
    part time helper site:.hk

it comes up with lots of good stuff

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    No.
    No.

Yes, some people do it and have no conscience about breaking the law. Alternatively, employ a local or someone with PR then you don't have to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by gatormama:
    Hi all,
    what's the deal with hiring someone part-time as a childcare worker or nanny? I have heard everything from "It's completely illegal and both you and he/she will be deported" to "It's so not a big deal, everyone looks the other way, it keeps the economy going" etc.

Are there *legal* ways to do it?

I'm guessing that this topic has been dealt with many times before, but unfortunately a search on here produces only links to ads on here :P so if you have a good, informative link, please post it!

Thanks
    GM
    You can legally hire part time local domestic helpers. They are a bit more expensive than foreign domestic helpers though and the majority of them speaks Cantonese, Mandarin or some other form of Chinese. But there are some English speakers among them. See following link for more info:

GovHK: Hiring a Domestic Helper

Thanks for the good information. I am a little confused, though, because it seems like so many people hire part-time without a care (as Claire mentions) -- people who seem like they would never break labo(u)r laws in their home countries. I will continue to look into this.

Does anyone know why it is illegal to employ someone part-time if both they and their contracted employer agree to it? Is it an attempt to protect the foreign guest worker, and if so, how and why? I would think that living in a rooming-house would provide someone with a community of their own language speakers and people with common interests (and the ability to not have to live at work) ... thoughts or facts on this?