Getting a career in HK: field of IT: where to start!

Closed Thread

Arrow Getting a career in HK: field of IT: where to start!

Hi All!
    I am looking at moving to HK but need a job to move too, my field of expertise is IT project management and sales. IT area is not in banking (unfortunately!) but ERP systems like SAP. Can anyone give me good advise on where to start? I have contacted a few agencies, (hays, huxley and MSI) already, and will follow up in ernest when everyone is back from their holidays etc.....
    Any advise would be very welcome! I don't know whether there is a "fast track" method of getting into the banking sector, if ERP careers are in short supply...
    Thanks in advance!!!!
    Simon

Someone ask the visa question please.

If there was a FAQ section with visa requirements as the first one then maybe, hopefully, it would slow down the continous stream of requests where the OPs have not considered the subject of visas before they pack their suitcases and head this way.

Simon, your IT expertise is on engineering field? cuz i thought SAP is more industrial engineering related? will you consider from that perspective instead of banking?
    to me, hays seem more focus on recruitment on finance (or banking) field. pls correct me if i am wrong!!!

OK - Simon,
    Do you have the Right of Abode in HK? If not do you know you'll need a sponsored employment visa?

Yes, although I am a British subject, I believe I would need sponsorship (unless I have the means to support myself?). Therefore I would need to find an employer who would be prepared to do this.

I am involved with Sap in the area of ERP, so not really engineering. I have had both key sales and project management roles internationally. You are right about hays, although there seems to be a guy there who works on ERP recruitment. Huxley seems to be focused on banking too.

Do you know any good headhunters in this field or agencies?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Yes you would need sponsorship for the visa, which is for one employer only - unless you had brazzillions to invest then you can get an Investment Visa.

The British bit means nowt since we handed the place back.