own business

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ooh and i more thing.. i feel sorry for the parents.. paying up to $400 an hour to send their kids to english classes from what they think is a 'qualified' teacher.. when really its an illegal worker who had 100 quid and 40 hours spare..

sorry just in a ranting mood

geez i cant stop!!

note to parents: If you are sending your kids to english classes to learn english, i think it would be wise and not unreasonable to ask to see your childs teachers teaching qualification certificates

Quote Originally Posted by hughb2000:
    fall back on?? thats what i would call teaching english.. anyway, i will see you in 10 years time earning the same amount.. where as myself.. earning probably less than half you do right now will be earning quadrouple what you are.. not being arrogant at all or thinking only of the money (tho its obvious thats what you are more concerned about) but of a career! TEFL my ass, im really sorry but it takes no intelligence to do a tefl course whatsoever the one which takes 40 hours on the internet and you get 6 months to do it?? pssshh sounds like the driving theory test if you ask me...
    Yes you are sounding pretty arrogant, I never said TEFL is a career and sure as hell not going to treat it as one, Its a temporary stop gap and I only anticipate doing it for no more than 6 months or so, I have other plans but this is going to finance my next business venture.

So in 10 years time when you'll be in the corporate rat race I'll be retired and raking in money left right and centre from my business venture.

And TEFL is a lot more than 100 quid thats if you even if you could be bothered to do just a little bit of research.

after seeing my attitude towards it to you think i would spend time looking into it? ^^

anyway i apologise if i sounded arrogant, but i am just expressing my view on teaching english. most of my close school friends are doing it and it just annoys me that they all hate their jobs, get paid twice as much as i do but arent moving forward in life.. and i wish i hadnt said myself personally would be earning more, i mean anyone who was persuing a career.

after seeing my attitude towards it to you think i would spend time looking into it? ^^

anyway i apologise if i sounded arrogant, but i am just expressing my view on teaching english. most of my close school friends are doing it and it just annoys me that they all hate their jobs, get paid twice as much as i do but arent moving forward in life.. and i wish i hadnt said myself personally would be earning more, i mean anyone who was persuing a career.
    Surely you should know that to back up an argument you need to get your facts right first, So your comment about 100 quid and 40 spare hours is worthless as its false.

Ask your friends if they see this as a career and i'm certain they'll say no its a short term thing, Thats the way a lot of TEFL teachers think its a short term thing to get money in the bank and then puruse other options.

Out of curiosity what did you graduate in? And is it relevant to your future'career'

and my final note:

online tefl is 170 quid .. so i wasnt to far off..

mechanical engineering was my degree and i now work for Ove Arup. If you dont know them you can do some research of your own

and my final note:

online tefl is 170 quid .. so i wasnt to far off..
    But somewhat way off the mark by a pretty large margin though

A professional firm providing technical solutions, Arup has a distinct culture and an enduring set of values that bind the firm together.

Currently operating out of 73 offices in 32 countries, with 7000 members of staff, Arup is made up of a number of inter-related practices.

We aim to bring together the best professionals in the world to meet our clients' needs.

So you're in either the infrastructure/consulting/ Building sector then?
    Last edited by jimbo; 11-01-2006 at 04:30 PM.

well bleh.. its still cheap!

and.. to reply to your other post.. True only a couple of my friends are actually persuing it as a career... but trust when i say none of the others are saving any of that cash they are earning

well bleh.. its still cheap!

and.. to reply to your other post.. True only a couple of my friends are actually persuing it as a career... but trust when i say none of the others are saving any of that cash they are earning
    Not our fault that they spend it on beers in wanchai hooker bars now is it?

Just checked, you guys designed and worked on the wibbly wobbly millenium bridge in London? Explains it all really!
    Last edited by jimbo; 11-01-2006 at 04:35 PM.