Any IT job (QA or project coordination) offered is appreciated

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any IT job (QA or project coordination) offered is appreciated

Hi all,

I am chinese who speak fluent english and cantonese and graduated in 2002.I have been working for 7 years in IT with below points form
    job responsibilities;

a. Managing project schedules from business requirement to project rollout (business requirement,project design,analyst)
    b. Conducting user training for project (web application,POS hardware and software,VB application)
    c. Managing a team of Quality Analysts to test the applications for bugs
    d. Getting new business opportunities/sales

I let go my previous job because of my husband work relocation here since 1 year ago..
    And despite hundred of applications that i sent out, i only been to 2 interviews but yet fail to secure any job. I am totally devastated..

Could anyone advice me how can i catch the attention of the HR ? Or perhaps my resume is too boring ?

I have been thinking whether i should change my career path to other fields since i don't see any hope in getting an IT job in HK

It's due to not many IT projects being run out of HK, either they're sub-contracted abroad or ad-hoc run internally on a shoe-string budget.

Do you read CWHK? It has an interesting 2010 wish list from various HK managers including wanting "IT to be seen not as just a cost centre".

2009 December ComputerWorld HK eZine | ComputerWorld Hong Kong

It was quite sad to see Outblaze turned from a software company into a lame marketing point for IBM. I don't even know who that now puts as Hong Kong's largest "real" software company.

Have you tried IBM?

long shot but my place is looking for QA people.

PM me and send me your CV.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    It was quite sad to see Outblaze turned from a software company into a lame marketing point for IBM.
    Hold on a sec there... only a part of Outblaze was sold to IBM, the rest is still alive and kicking. AFAIK they have started hiring again.

Mikimou and JCinHK, I am a QA lead working as an outsourced resource here in HK. Though QA usually falls under "nice to have" category here in HK, but, there are jobs out there, albeit very few, as you yourself experienced. In last 2 years I have gotten called only for three interviews, one because requirement didn't match my exp and 2 I lost after a couple of rounds.
    Last I'd heard that Barcap and Macquirie were looking for QA ppl (those two didn't find me appealing though), I am sure if you give it a try you might still get a job there.

Katanga, can I send you my resume as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mikimou:
    Hi all,

a. Managing project schedules from business requirement to project rollout (business requirement,project design,analyst)
    b. Conducting user training for project (web application,POS hardware and software,VB application)
    c. Managing a team of Quality Analysts to test the applications for bugs
    d. Getting new business opportunities/sales
    From your brief job description, I notice first and foremost, that you have either not mentioned or do not have any programming skills. If you do know programming you should really mention it much more clearly. I see you mention you conduct user training and amongst these are VB applications. I think if you indeed know how to write VB, then simply write something along the lines of:

- 4 years experience in VB/VBA programming
    (and if you have more)
    - 6 years web programming
    (be aware that some HR ppl do not like you being so vague- web programming could be anything from simple html to advanced javascripts with ajax, etc)

Having programming skills will really help you find a job in IT even if the position does not entail any programming duties.

Like gunsnroses mentioned, there isn't exactly an abundance of QA jobs available here in HK, and usually most employers looking to hire a QA will prefer someone with experience and/or knowledge in their field, so make sure to specify this.

Also I hear the government is looking to hire a bunch a AP2's (analyst programmers 2). But you need to take and pass the CRE and even after that there will be thousands of applicants going after the same position. But I guess if you have a CRE already or would consider taking it, there is no harm trying since the government would provide good benefits and job security. Oh I hear starting salary offering from HKD26k a month.

Hope this helps ... & Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiew888:
    From your brief job description, I notice first and foremost, that you have either not mentioned or do not have any programming skills.
    eddiew, I don't think he's looking for programming jobs, he's experience in QA which usually doesn't require any programming skills.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    eddiew, I don't think he's looking for programming jobs, he's experience in QA which usually doesn't require any programming skills.
    But it's certainly a useful skill to have, eg. in whitebox testing, or even developing automated QA processes, at least in my experience.

Oh BTW, our place is also looking for QA people, so if any of you reading are interested, PM me for more info

Quote Originally Posted by spacehunt:
    Hold on a sec there... only a part of Outblaze was sold to IBM, the rest is still alive and kicking. AFAIK they have started hiring again.
    Reading too much CWHK, they like to skip the important details.

(edit) Actually Outblaze's website skims over the details too, "IBM completes the asset acquisition of Outblaze"

http://www.outblaze.com/
    Last edited by MrMoo; 13-01-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    It's due to not many IT projects being run out of HK, either they're sub-contracted abroad or ad-hoc run internally on a shoe-string budget.

Do you read CWHK? It has an interesting 2010 wish list from various HK managers including wanting "IT to be seen not as just a cost centre".

It was quite sad to see Outblaze turned from a software company into a lame marketing point for IBM. I don't even know who that now puts as Hong Kong's largest "real" software company.

Have you tried IBM?
    Mr Moo,
    Thank you for the URL.

is indeed an interesting online mag. I have better picture of how HK IT are now.

No, I have not tried IBM. I have been trying my luck in jobsdb and the agency recruiter.

Katanga,
    Thank you. I will pm and send you my CV.

JCinHK,
    I've been trying and looking for a year.
    It didn't help me much in getting a job although I am fluent in cantonese as some companies prefer to have someone who is fluent in Mandarin as well.

I have the same thought of getting enroll in HK's courses. I am still looking for the right one here.

Good luck for your job hunting too

GunsnRoses,
    thank you for you info. I was once told by mainland's IT manager that programmers or qas are usually in high demand for outsource company. Do your company outsource the project to China's software company ?

eddiew888,
    I have 4 years of programming experiences before moving to QA. (Visual Basic 6.0, Active Server Pages(ASP), C, C++, Oracle, ActiveX Report, Crystal Report, Java, Microsoft FrontPage 2000,J2EE, JavaScript, HTML, XML)

And along the way, i was using SQL Oracle 10 or MSSql to perform UAT or testings.

I didn't write it your ways previously but categorised its to TECHNICAL SKILLS at the bottom of the resume. Yes, probably i should have break it down in years details. Thank you for your info.

spacehunt,
    Thank you. I will pm you shortly.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast