Does the first job after college always suck?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does the first job after college always suck?

I am a fresh grad who graduated from a big ten university in the U.S. with good grades. I have been here 3 months, i couldn't find a job in my field (finance or economics). it seems all the jobs in finance now days are financial consulting/planning. I don't think i want to be a financial planner, or any sort of salesman.
    I am considering going to grad school here or in other countries.
    would a master degree changes things?
    or should i just suck it up and become a salesman working 60 hours a week for $10000/month.
    The futures seems so bleak, please give me some guidance.
    Can you tell about how you made the transition from a college student to a professional?

Last edited by UStoHK; 11-01-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Masters would not be worth doing right now until you have at least 3-4 years relevant working experience under your belt.

What is your field exactly?

No. Don't be a financial salesman. Get any kind of honest job instead. Then, once you are in the workforce, better offers may arise.

I graduated with two B.B.A.s one in finance, one in economics.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Masters would not be worth doing right now until you have at least 3-4 years relevant working experience under your belt.

What is your field exactly?
    For MBA i am sure it is not worth while.
    How about master in economics/ finance?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You don't say what your "field" is but with a post-grad degree, you might find yourself in the same boat - paper qualifications with no experience.

How you looked at graduate trainee management programmes offered by some of the large corporations in HK?

What makes you stand out against HK graduates applying for the same positions? Emphasise that on your resume.

Could you consider going back to the US?

And yes, sometimes that first step on the ladder is a crappy one.

Have you done the rounds of the networking events out here etc?

Get yourself to oriented.com's events etc and get yourself known to the decision makers.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    No. Don't be a financial salesman. Get any kind of honest job instead. Then, once you are in the workforce, better offers may arise.
    what about a membership sales position at California fitness?
    i was desperate and went to the interview. would a job like this be considered as an "honest job"?
    I heard that some people make up to 20,000-30,000/ month.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You don't say what your "field" is but with a post-grad degree, you might find yourself in the same boat - paper qualifications with no experience.

How you looked at graduate trainee management programmes offered by some of the large corporations in HK?

What makes you stand out against HK graduates applying for the same positions? Emphasise that on your resume.

Could you consider going back to the US?

And yes, sometimes that first step on the ladder is a crappy one.
    yes, i can consider going back. but my family is here and i kinda like it here better.
    besides, i don't think the job market in the U.S. is any better.

Quote Originally Posted by UStoHK:
    what about a membership sales position at California fitness?
    i was desperate and went to the interview. would a job like this be considered as an "honest job"?
    I heard that some people make up to 20,000-30,000/ month.
    is this a joke?

Top 10 US uni and you are ready to sell some applications at California Fitness?

Unless you are under immense financial pressure, I would wait for better opportunities. The money you make is not as important as the money you can potentially make. Sales at California Fitness may pay more (I am surprised tho) than say a first job in a Big 4, but the prospects are definitely not the same

Are you looking for a Job or for a Career. Those are 2 different things.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast