Working Holiday Visa

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Last edited by fth; 18-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.

i HAVE met people in hk on a working holiday visa (as a matter of fact, i employed one!)...the ones i have met were from Oz, though.

there are a few irish folk around (my mum was born in dublin, her family hailing from wicklow~ sadly, i've never been myself), if you are here long enough, i'm sure you'll meet a few!

I came to HK on a working holiday visa from Australia, AMA

Thank you so much for all of the posts and the web links are excellent - you have all helped so much and I really appreciate it! I am going to apply within the next week or so and will keep researching everything, so hopefully I will be able to write an update in a few weeks Thanks to all once again.

Also, I hope that you will get to visit Ireland, carang Yeah I would hope to get to know as many people of all nationalities as possible so... here's hoping that the application goes OK

Hey bunnycurves,

I'm Irish and came out here on the working holiday visa in November and haven't regretted it for a second. Everyone here has pretty much been spot on with what they have said and it is definitely worth the effort. From my experience I would say that you should defo go to the Chinese embassay in Dublin in person rather than applying by post and when you have done that it will take about 2-3 weeks for the process to be completed. I don't think ireland has ever come anywhere close to filling the quota either so that shouldn't be a problem. Job wise its definitely worth getting a TEFL qualification so that you can pick up some money when you first get here, alternatively theres a fair few irish bars (isn't there always) and I'm sure they'd consider taking you on. Then after you've got yourself up and running you can start to look at a more permanent position if you see yourself staying in HK for the long term. You're right that we are limited to 3 months per employer but from talking to people this isn't enforced too strictly and if you can make a good impression at a company within three months then they may be willing to sponsor you for a permanent work visa.

If you have any questions about the process or whatever then give me a shout and I'll try my best to help you out!