Working Holiday Visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Working Holiday Visa

I am eligible for a Working Holiday Visa for HK and would love to go yet have been finding it hard to retrieve info over the internet about what type of temporary work (the three month maximum duration with one employer) is available... I have heard that native English speakers do well plus I am a university graduate, is it possible to gain a sponsor on a WHV? And can WHV's use recruitment agencies? I hope that I am not frustrating ppl with these questions but would love some up-to-date info

if you have a working holiday visa, you DON'T NEED A sponsor... that's the whole point of the visa!

you won't be able to find work from your home country for something temporary, such as what you would get with a working holiday visa.

with this type of visa, you could:

try to find a temp job teaching english (if english is your native tongue)
    find work in a bar (pay is terrible, but work is fun and you will meet a lot of people)
    try some retail (unlikely in most areas unless you target shops that deal 99% with foreigners... i'm thinking places like horizon plaza in ap lei chau)

There are expat groups for Aussies, Kiwis and the Irish (the eligible english speaking countries) in Hong Kong who might be able to help out as well. Depending on your skill set (e.g. any IT experience or sports coaching) there may be some more interesting work out there as you don't need a sponsor. Given the small quotas there isn't a well trodden path out there.

Australia (annual quota = 1000)
    Germany (annual quota = 100)
    Ireland (annual quota = 100)
    Japan (annual quota = 250)
    New Zealand (annual quota = 200)

actually, canadians are now amongst the group that can apply for working holiday visas. (agreement only signed a couple of months ago)

Not quite yet - it's signed, but only comes into effect on 1 March 2010.

Thank you for all of the replies! Sorry, I explained the 'sponsor' part badly. What I meant was, if while on a WHV, if I applied for a permanent position, could this company sponsor me, or is this very difficult to come by? HK seems a lot stricter than other countries but I would still love to go for a while, it isn't a well trodden path I know - my other options are Australia and NZ which I would be moving onto anyway... I don't know - is the Working Holiday Visa for HK then worth all of the hassle??!

is it worth it to be able to come to such a city and be able to take up employment without having to satisfy the strict criteria for a proper work visa?

is it worth it to try life in an asian city?

how are we to answer that for you?

if i was in your shoes, i'd say, yes! it is definitely worth it! for the experience of it if for nothing else.

australia and new zealand are not going anywhere... they'll still be there a year from now!

as for finding a permanent job... i would come for your working holiday... if, by the end of 9 months here, you decide that it's a place that you'd like to stay longer, THEN look for a permanent job. cross that bridge when you come to it.

From the sports team members I have met on the scheme, there have been very few regrets and for some there has been a job offer (sponsorship after leaving) after working on a specific project/contact.

It depends on who you are, what type of work you want, how much preparation you do before you leave.

Thanks again for such great responses - you have explained exactly how I feel, carang! I am someone who is very positive and open-minded by nature and believe this to be such a fantastic opportunity, I suppose I was just testing the water to see what others threw at me, especially with the global recession for employment and all, and I guess Australia being perceived as an easier option employment-wise. Another silly question - in anyone's experience has the Irish quota filled up quickly? I don't know anyone who has used the HK WHV so just wondering!

From the Press Release I linked above:

Hong Kong established bilateral working holiday schemes with New Zealand and Australia in 2001, Ireland in 2005, and Germany and Japan in 2009.

So far ... about 1,280 young people from New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and Germany have experienced Hong Kong’s cosmopolitan and vibrant way of life.
    So it seems pretty unlikely that the quotas which allow 1600 per year in total are often filled.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast