Internships or Entry level job for fresh grad?

Closed Thread

Internships or Entry level job for fresh grad?

Hi All,

I'm a fresh grad from UCI doubling in Economics and Political Science (3.5+ gpa) with 1 quarter experience in economic research and 1.5 years as an intern/junior analyst at a financial services firm and a start up fund of funds. I had also committed some time to teaching autistic children. On my last undergraduate quarter, I studied business and economics at Fudan University in Shanghai, China. I speak native level English, conversational cantonese and basic mandarin chinese. My chinese writing proficiency is lacking.

I am now looking for work or an internship in Hong Kong.

I am an American citizen without a Hong Kong visa.

Do any of you have tips on finding work/internship in Hong Kong/China and finding a visa. I understand that working visas are only issued through sponsorships of firms.

I am told that MNC's are better targets for visa sponsorship.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by gahseng; 21-01-2010 at 05:43 PM.

For a permanent job most banks go through their recruitment programme which in most cases have ceased. Recruitment season for internships is now on.

Before going through the visa issue etc, you best bet is to get employed in NY or London and then get transferred when you have some more experience.

If you want to move directly, start networking now and go through less formal methods.

You could also go for commercial banks or pan-asian banks, big four, asset managers.

I would also try to contact recruiters, they may have junior level positions that require little work experience; though it may not be the best start, you could make a huge difference by getting your foot in the door. Good luck!

Wow! Thanks "Fth" and "D for David". I forgot to add, I am currently in Hong Kong but I do NOT have a HK ID or permanent residence. I do have family here who is letting me bum around temporarily.

Any input is immensely appreciated people!

Last edited by gahseng; 23-01-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Hi Gahseng,

I'm in a similar position, currently in Hong Kong looking for a job - I have a few years experience in banking, but no degree. I have been approaching various recruitment agencies and the general feedback I'm getting is it will be difficult without a visa, but not impossible. I've been put forward for a few positions and so far feedback has been fairly thin on the ground, but I think it's a case of just keep trying. Obviously with the world emerging from a recession, it's always gonna be tough to find a job in another country without a visa, but from what I understand, the MNC's can sort out work visas fairly easily, so if you get a manager who is prepared to go down the overseas candidate route, you might get a break.

Good luck anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by newsense:
    Hi Gahseng,

I'm in a similar position, currently in Hong Kong looking for a job - I have a few years experience in banking, but no degree. I have been approaching various recruitment agencies and the general feedback I'm getting is it will be difficult without a visa, but not impossible. I've been put forward for a few positions and so far feedback has been fairly thin on the ground, but I think it's a case of just keep trying. Obviously with the world emerging from a recession, it's always gonna be tough to find a job in another country without a visa, but from what I understand, the MNC's can sort out work visas fairly easily, so if you get a manager who is prepared to go down the overseas candidate route, you might get a break.

Good luck anyway!

Good Luck to you too newsense!

Are recruitment agencies reliable sources for a fresh grad like me or should i just focus my time on MNC's and websites like careertimes and jobs db? I'd like to add that I'm not too picky with the type of internship/position. My background is economics but I am willing to explore new territory.

Last edited by gahseng; 25-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.

no harm of trying if there is any. but for most companies, they wont spend money on getting the recruitment agencies to screen, hire fresh grad/entry level kind of jobs. it's just not cost effective for these companies.
    Try your best. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gahseng:
    Are recruitment agencies reliable sources for a fresh grad like me or should i just focus my time on MNC's and websites like careertimes and jobs db? I'd like to add that I'm not too picky with the type of internship/position. My background is economics but I am willing to explore new territory.
    If you are ideally looking at something on a 'Grad Scheme', then most probably the company websites are your best bet, but if you are looking at regular positions as well, I would definitely speak to some agencies. Some of the banks only post limited positions on their websites (some don't even post any), so it's definitely worth exploring all avenues to give yourself the best chances of success - you might be missing out on positions if you only use the company websites.

Sites like JobsDB in particular are very good and comprehensive, but you will find that the majority of positions on there are posted by agencies, not by the companies themselves. I think the agencies are often your best chance of getting an interview, because applying through company websites, you are often relying on HR to screen your CV and decide whether to put it forward to the hiring manager. Most of the agencies will be dealing directly with the hiring manager, which means your CV is put directly in front of someone who can more accurate identify your skills.

Although what Joljon says is undoubtedly true, it also works in the reverse - if the company HAVE decided to use an agency, they will often not post the job on their website as they have already paid the agency to find someone for them, so going through the agent is your best (or only) option.

The quality of recruitment agencies here is incredibly varied. I remember one which rewrote secretarial candidates' CVs in such a way that they all appeared to be written by a primary school kid complete with typos, grammatical errors, and comical Chinglish.

Do not give them your CV until you have spoken to them first, at least on the phone.