Like Tree4Likes

Working as a doctor in hong kong

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Hey fellow Docs,
    let me know if u r in the same boat as me. Any advice much appreciated.
    Details are in my thread below
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/2...ml#post1615941

Have other Medical Doctors from US or Canada been rejected to sit the HK licencing exam?!

All Canadian and US med schools are 3-4 yrs and the requirement to sit the exam is 5yrs.

I need some advice to appeal this. If this rule isn't changed, no North american docs can ever sit the exam...
    Pls read the new thread I started with more info, or pm me.

shuttler

i know of one prominent Canadian GP in Central but she did exam in 2000, I think (Dr Bramley)

Did you package your application properly - ie should have included the BSc as part of the 'five years' of medical studies?

I think that there was a list of medical schools and colleges that are approved (issued by HKMC) and that give a respected primary qualification.

If Hong KOng medical council, no longer give professional recognition to a Canadian medical school or US medical school and do NOT recognise this (or no longer since they were before..) as a satisfactory primary qualification, then this is the silliest thing I've heard yet.

Hope you can resolve it, in terms of an understanding/clerical error.
    From what I see, there are numerous Sub-Committees (typical!) and one is for Appeals (which must be lodged within 14 days of the decision....)

shuttler and shri like this.

PS Just found the list (revised 2006)
    There are 250 medical schools on the list (btw it includes Traditional Chinese medicine schools and a number of SE Asian aswell as US and Canadian ones.) If you have completed the degree course this should be acceptable. It is not up to Hong Kong medical council to say how they structure the course or whether they should not have made the course 4 years (instead of 5).

I think you will have to get your medical college to give a statement about the structure of your course, to explain why the course is no longer 5 years, but that this is the standard course now.

shuttler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    PS Just found the list (revised 2006)
    There are 250 medical schools on the list (btw it includes Traditional Chinese medicine schools and a number of SE Asian aswell as US and Canadian ones.) If you have completed the degree course this should be acceptable. It is not up to Hong Kong medical council to say how they structure the course or whether they should not have made the course 4 years (instead of 5).

I think you will have to get your medical college to give a statement about the structure of your course, to explain why the course is no longer 5 years, but that this is the standard course now.
    Hey,
    can u send me the link for the list? I couldn't find it.
    Yeah I send them all the documentation (degrees and transcripts)...
    ty

I got some friends who attended last year's exam. One of my friend got very good result and passed in the first attempt. He had only spent 3 months for preparation(but studying very hard after work e.g.10 hrs a week), he told me that the questions asked were quite reasonable. However, we do know a lot of friends from UK who didnt pass the exam even with multiple attempts. Our impression of people who passed in these few years are those who had really study hard and aim to migrate to HK with strong reasons. e.g. Some doctors from China were bright in the exam. For those who always got a back-up plan in UK usually did it less seriously. So the message is study, study & study.

Rationale HKLME.

Hi Louise Amanda.

I think your point is valid regarding retention of funds to their own country however ever since the transfer of sovereignty to the People's Republic of China, I get the impression Hong Kong need to prevent dilution of their own culture. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why they made the HKLE 'difficult' was to generate revenue on the retakes. Regardless, I will have to face these exams at some point or perhaps locum as a GP in Australia/New Zealand for 6 months per annum then relax and travel around SE Asia for 6 months. Work-Life balance.

maikerula

yes agree.

If it was just the licensing exam to pass, thats 'ok' as many countries have a licensing exam for docs qualified elsewhere, no harm in that.

However this is linked with 12-month house job in a public hospital (even if you have 20 years + experience in UK, for example)

I think this is designed to put doctors off.

Hi there,

I have applied for the service resident job by the HKHA this year but yet to get a reply, have anyone heard anything about an offer or interview yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    maikerula

yes agree.

If it was just the licensing exam to pass, thats 'ok' as many countries have a licensing exam for docs qualified elsewhere, no harm in that.

However this is linked with 12-month house job in a public hospital (even if you have 20 years + experience in UK, for example)

I think this is designed to put doctors off.

any recent exam takers????

hiii i am going to sit for hong kong medical lisencing exam on september 2014.i graduated from china and am also taking usmle on the side.anybody has any idea how to go about applying for hkmle...how do i start?? any advise wud be much appreciated.anyone planning to sit for the same???please help!!!

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast