looking for job for my spouse

Closed Thread

looking for job for my spouse

hi, I just moved to HK a couple of months back and will be here for some time to come. I am getting married soon and I am looking for a job for my 'to be' spouse in HK. She has completed her business school studies in India and works as a HR exec in an IT firm. Any leads/suggestions? needless to say, cant speak chinese....thx

Is it easy for Indians fresh off the boat to find work in HK? I'm curious as the locals and many expats here seem to discriminate against Indians.

it doesnt seem to be easy for indians to find a job here and thats why i was looking any kind of suggestions or leads where i can try for my wife...i dont understand why MNC firms or alike would discrimminate just becoz you are from india...

>> i dont understand why MNC firms or alike would discrimminate just becoz you are from india...

They seriously do not... Take a look at the number of senior executives moved in and out of town by companies like HSBC, the investment banks and multinationals like Phillips etc.

Having said that, just because you're Indian .. does not mean you are good and are entitled to a high paying job at a multinational.

If your wife is from an IIM, have her get a list of the alumni that are in Hong Kong. They have fairly active associations and it might not hurt to network a bit with them.

Quote Originally Posted by nav79:
    it doesnt seem to be easy for indians to find a job here and thats why i was looking any kind of suggestions or leads where i can try for my wife...i dont understand why MNC firms or alike would discrimminate just becoz you are from india...
    The word of discrimination is a bit strong I think. Same as any other countries, you would be in disadvantage if you didn't speak the local language. e.g. if a local person who can speak chinese and English, and an Indian who can Indian and English, think about who would be in advantage in getting a job from a local firm in HK ? it is a pretty easy question.

You may then ask why white people can get jobs, just because they are employed by the firms from their own countries e.g. US and UK (large firms)

So don't use those usual excuses from colour people in the western world that when they can't get what they want, the only excuse they would use would be ' because I am black' -. It is nothing to do with your colour.

Anyway, I am pretty sure there are plenty of firms in HK are owned by Indian, why don't you try those to begin with, may be more charges for your partner in getting a job ? - good luck anyway

Thats exactly what i am saying...just becoz u r of an indian origin, u should not start on a back foot as compared to other expats. I agree being a local does benefit and it should indeed so, thats why i had mentioned a MNC in my first mail as i know chinese is a kind of must in a local firm and and i also feel that its silly if smbdy thinks that being an indian, you deserve a high ranking,...I am just looking for any person having a similar problem or somebody having any contacts somewhere through which I can get her a decent HR job...thx all

How about this position Nav79?

http://www.jobsdb.com/HK/EN/Job.asp?...74869821&12511
    I know it's a bit old but i think they haven't found anyone yet