Procurement professionals in HK?

Closed Thread

Procurement professionals in HK?

Hi Guys,

I'm moving out to HK to join my better half in January and wondered if there were any fellow procurement professionals that view this fantastic board?

cheers,

David

Last edited by dave80; 19-12-2005 at 08:08 PM.

Not a single person? oh dear!

Dave,

I'm one (depending on your definition), but I won't be out there until 3rd quarter. This was just decided today, so I was waiting to post. Could still fall apart if "the package" isn't satisfactory, but looks 90%.

What do you procure?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Dave,

I'm one (depending on your definition), but I won't be out there until 3rd quarter. This was just decided today, so I was waiting to post. Could still fall apart if "the package" isn't satisfactory, but looks 90%.

What do you procure?
    Not much!! I'm new to the sourcing side of procurement with limited exposure to procuring hotel & travel services, my core experience lies with design & implementation of e-commerce solutions, procurement modules of ERP implementation, redesigning procurement processes to maximise performance etc.

I'm on the cusp of leaving the UK to search for new opportunities in Hong Kong so am trying to ascertain how much of a supportive expat community there is in this field.

Oddly, the HK branch of CIPS have so far ignored my email

what is it that you procure then?
    Last edited by dave80; 11-01-2006 at 12:33 AM.

I will be sourcing automotive parts for export to the US. Mainly from China, but across SE Asia also.
    Currently I am in Product Management. I do everything--product evaluation, pricing, getting the supplier through the "system", marketing, etc.... I do not do the actual buying (we have a centralized procurement office for that).
    Not coming over to HK until late summer.

There is an "Institute of Purchasing & Supply of Hong Kong", if that's what you mean.
    http://www.ipshk.org

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate:
    There is an "Institute of Purchasing & Supply of Hong Kong", if that's what you mean.
    http://www.ipshk.org
    not quite but thanks anyway! CIPS is the UK based professional body within purchasing & supply chain that has many branches globally including HK, as I am already a member I thought they would be my first point of contact when looking to start networking.

I will also look into contacting with the Institute of Purchasing & Supply of Hong Kong, I believe there is also The Institute of Supply Management in Hong Kong, hopefully they will be a little more receptive.

should anyone need an ERP/e-procurement solution drop me a mail!
    Last edited by dave80; 19-01-2006 at 01:01 AM.