teaching for ESF, NET or British Council?

Closed Thread

teaching for ESF, NET or British Council?

Hello again,

I've done abit of research lately, and I've narrowed the field down. Basically, it's 1 of the 3. I've contacted all 3, and I've had a few nibbles, so I need to make a few decisions.

Does anyone here work for either ESF or NET high schools? How hard would it be for me to get into the swing of things (I haven't taught high school for 4 years!). Also, is British Council a good place to work for? At the moment, I'm narrowing down places on reputation (and workload as I want to have as much time with my child as possible) and pay, of course.

Thanks!

British Council would involve evening and weekend work, but the hours would be less (around 20 teaching hours?) than the others. However, you might have split shifts - 3 hours in morning then a long break, and 3 hours in evening.

Drumbrake's right about the BC - evening and weekend work definitely. Split shifts likely. Off-site work possible too, so despite their Admiralty teaching centre you may well be trekking up to Sha Tin to teach 6 hours on a Saturday, kowloon side for evenings, etc. You will also probably have to teach primaries for a large chunk of your classes which if I remember correctly from your previous thread, isn't particularly your thing. Pay is significantly less than the NET scheme. But, you do get good health insurance with the BC which you don't get as a NET.

In terms of actual teaching hours you'd likely do less as a NET than at the BC, but, most NETs have to sign in and out and have to be at school for the 8 hour days minimum whereas at the BC you have the flexibilty of just going in to teach your classes - prep can be done at home, etc.

NET scheme first you have to eligible for it, you can check it out on the edb.gov.hk website. if you get in, the pay's not bad and you get a special allowance which you can use for rent or whatever (it significantly bumps up your salary). you can also check out their other "benefits" on the website.

But workwise.. expect A LOT!! regular working hours technically from 8 - 4pm, but you have to do a lot of prep work for your classes, hold after school activities, attend school meetings that can sometimes go on to 8pm though you haven't a clue what they're talking about because it's mostly conducted in chinese. most teachers aren't able to finish on the dot and choose to stay on.
    a lot of marking, constant cycle of writings, exams, dictations etc. WAY more than in the UK. very often i stay late even though school is finished, just to do marking and prep work for the next day. if you don't.. then you'll soon be swamped down.

but that's for a government aided secondary school. not too sure about internationals..

Yes, NET work is hard yakka, but it has the wonderful advantage that in many (most?) schools you don't have to worry about staff meetings and politics because it all happens in Cantonese ...
    In ESF and international schools you have to cope with these aspects at least as much as in any Australian, British or German school (I won't comment on systems I haven't experienced).
    In these schools you are also expected to be involved in after school/ lunch hour activities, help organise excursions, special projects and performances, etc., etc., but at least you will get decent compensation for doing so!
    You might want to check out some of the threads on the education board of this site to hear about different schools from various perspectives.