Like Tree5Likes

Is 5.5 days a normal working week?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leedseagle:
    i wouldn't mind overtime if it was paid. the fact it's not (for me at least) really grates.
    If you are not earning a "professional" salary then I can understand. But certainly, most jobs that do not pay overtime pay higher (fixed) salary so you do really get paid for it.

44hrs (that's 5.5 days) for 22k p/m ... Good enough?
    Posted via Mobile Device

$125 an hour

(I think?)

Quote Originally Posted by caipiroska:
    that does depend on the country your work in. e.g. in Germany there are lots of professions (incl. those that require office work) where working hours are highly regulated/ limited.

My German parent company does not allow ppl to work more than 10 hours per day. If you do, your boss is in serious trouble.

But on another note, what I hate most is that we don't have flexible working hours here. If I could start work a bit later or earlier I could avoid the rush hour traffic.
    Not quite, even in Germany the employee can general opt out of the working hours restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by leedseagle:
    well you were unfortunate to have to work an 88 hour week. and probably breaking laws in the process.

also, i would suggest, a little foolish. what's the point in spending your whole life at work. you may earn a bucket load of cash, but if you're always in the office, you've got nothing to do with it.

much better off working civilised hours and being able to have a life outside of work.
    People make choices and for some their work is THEIR LIFE or at least an important part (AND THEY ENJOY IT....more than say going to the cinema or dancing with hookers in wanchai)

It is not only for the money that SOME people work long hours or hard.
    For SOME, work is their own business and the satisfaction of seeing it develop is more important than some other things.

For SOME work is their passion and again the pleasure they take from doing it is more important than some other things life an provide.

and I could go on and on

Nothing to do with civilised hours.

Of course if you work 100 hours a week for a shit pay and for a job you hate, then you better just quit.

each to their own, hey?

for me, even in a job i love, i don't want to be tied to it for 80-100 hours a week. i consider my free time outside work more valuable

Quote Originally Posted by nucleus888:
    44hrs (that's 5.5 days) for 22k p/m ... Good enough?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I would be happy with 22k!! Well for the moment...

HK is trying to get rid of the 5 1/2 day working week... But till then just have to endure!

Asia tends to have a hard working environment compared to lets say Greece... Hohoho... Afternoon naps anyone?

I have it too easy in UK, 36 hours per week, in HK I will have to work 50 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by twitceh:
    I would be happy with 22k!! Well for the moment...

HK is trying to get rid of the 5 1/2 day working week... But till then just have to endure!

Asia tends to have a hard working environment compared to lets say Greece... Hohoho... Afternoon naps anyone?
    They should have probably work a little bit more in Greece.........

my first job was 5.5 days...hated it so much. Especially when i could not stay out late on Friday nights cos I had to get up early for Sat. Would never consider another day that is not 5-day Mon-Fri.