Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax

Jobs in international development?

Closed Thread

Jobs in international development?

Hi all,

I'm a Yale senior hoping to move to Hong Kong after graduation. I'm interested in international development, in broad terms: I'm interested in economic development, poverty alleviation, foreign aid, global health, and governance. I'm currently researching related job opportunities, but I'm a bit stuck. I'd be excited about research work at a policy institute or with a professor, or work in the nonprofit sector. Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
    Matt

I'm only aware of one policy institute here (Lion Rock Institute), and they do have some expats involved, although I'm not sure if it's paid or pro bono. They're helpful sort of people so they may be able to help guide you.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The ones I can think of are not international, either Hong Kong or Asia-Pacific focused. Hong Kong isn't exactly a hub for this kind of thing.

There's the Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies at CUHK (by "senior" do you mean postgrad?). Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies - HKIAPS

The Hong Kong Policy Research Institute: http://www.hkpri.org.hk/

If you have experience, GIFT is looking but otherwise it would be an internship. http://www.globalinstitutefortomorrow.com/

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 25-02-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    just.ness likes this.

Hi PDLM and Claire, thanks for your replies.

Claire, by "senior," I mean that I'm a fourth-year undergrad. I'll get my B.A. this spring.

Most of the Hong Kong based jobs in this field are mainland China &/or Asia specific rather than "global".
    My experience is that most of the jobs available aren't the sort that are advertised generally; the organisations usually either head-hunt you because you already have an established reputation, or you build credibility with them over an extended period by either starting as the office dogsbody/ receptionist or doing other voluntary work for them.

The Clinton Foundation is also quite active in Asia - albeit not so much in Hong Kong, more in Beijing, etc.

Hi Matt,
    How did you end up going with your search? Im in Hong Kong atm looking for the same opportunities in International Development, any advice you can throw my way would be much appreciated

Cheers
    G