Hong Kong's job market

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Sorry, I thought you were an "experienced hire". Things are tougher for a recent grad.

Quote Originally Posted by breakfastcrew:
    civil engineering, so construction i guess. I know there is risk of overinflated housing prices in HK and the greater China, should I be worried if I make the move in the coming month(s).

you are worried now, aren't you?
    if u r good, u will still get a job even the industry is not doing that well. just be patient during the job hunting period. n be well prepared.
    also, try to get an idea of the average salary in HK/China, so you wont be "surprised" when landed here.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Sorry, I thought you were an "experienced hire". Things are tougher for a recent grad.
    I was hoping my US degree, english/cantonese fluency and 1/2yr+ of work experience will set me apart from other recent graduates. But if getting hired is as hard as it is in the US I might stay for a few more months before moving back. Just trying to get some professional opinion on my plan.
    Last edited by breakfastcrew; 26-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joljon:
    you are worried now, aren't you?
    if u r good, u will still get a job even the industry is not doing that well. just be patient during the job hunting period. n be well prepared.
    also, try to get an idea of the average salary in HK/China, so you wont be "surprised" when landed here.

good luck.
    Well salary is not a problem I already know I am going to get about 1/3 less than the US. I am not really moving back for the money, I just think HK/China tend to have larger and more interesting projects.

It maybe a good idea to visit HK before you quit your job to scope out the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by breakfastcrew:
    Well salary is not a problem I already know I am going to get about 1/3 less than the US. I am not really moving back for the money, I just think HK/China tend to have larger and more interesting projects.
    If salary isn't a problem and you don't mind just trying your luck, apply to one of the big groups like Maunsell (structural / environmental / consultancy, etc). Their HK head offices are in Grand Central Plaza in Shatin, New Territories. Link: MAUNSELL CONSULTANTSASIA LIMITED

You're already a Canto speaker and an HKID holder? Well, you might want to make an exploratory trip out here and be readily available for an interview if you're serious though, as they won't bother with overseas applicants, esp. relatively recent graduates - posts are easily and quickly filled (or so someone I know who used to work there said).

Check the SCMP classifieds regularly, too.

Best o' luck.

...you have a better chance if you can make yourself "local" for a week or two, and try to secure some interviews...even try networking...ping your cv off to the companies who interest you, and let them know you will be in town for interviews...

...good luck ...

You'll have to invest some time and energy into actually making a real choice on what to do with your life. Half heartedly sending resumes across the ocean to HK will get you nowhere. Especially for a grad that is - unless you possess extraordinary qualities that grads in HK just do not possess. Whatever that is in your industry - for example you've interned for a world-wide known guru in your industry. For the normal lamen - you'll just have to go there in person. Its a risk and its scary but good things in life come to those who try. This is not specific to HK at all by the way. What do you think your current company would do with a bog standard resume sent by a kid in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Boro Boy:
    ...you have a better chance if you can make yourself "local" for a week or two, and try to secure some interviews...even try networking...ping your cv off to the companies who interest you, and let them know you will be in town for interviews...

...good luck ...
    If I only go back for 1-2 weeks I don't think I can complete all of the interviews. I heard it was common for HK companies to conduct 4-5 interviews before they hire someone. I have actually contacted a relatively big firm in HK already and gotten a web cam interview. But that entire process took like 3 months. Even when they contacted me to schedule an interview it took them at least 2 weeks to set it up. It seems HR works quite slow. Do all of you think they will work faster if I was actually on ground in HK?
    Last edited by breakfastcrew; 27-02-2010 at 03:02 AM.