Like Tree11Likes

Chances of being employed - Electrician

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    as for personal trainers, i've heard that they can charge up to $800/hour for private sessions!

private teaching (english) can command $400/hour.

it IS possible to make a life here from virtually nothing (i know, i did!), but it takes patience, persistence, a sense of adventure, and an ability to adapt to new places/situations.

it would be FAR easier for you to get a visa for your man if you married him. i understand your hesitation, but micci has a point. if getting the visa is the sole reason for marrying, it's probably a bad idea.

to be perfectly honest, when my husband and i talked about marriage there was NO way that deciding where to live was going to affect my decision. (i'm canadian, he's local chinese)
    he could get cert'd as a trainer too.. we are both fitness fanatics.

He still says he wants to marry me but I know that this would not happen if I decided to stay in HK and if he can't find a job. BUT I will run the PT option by him as he did express interest in getting certified this summer as well.

Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by ticket2ride:
    i am not a fan of saskatchewan. Was out in Regina for canadian nationals for my horse shows.. and let's just say. Nothing goes on there haha..
    have you considered australia? trademen are in high demand there (still, i heard) so this could be a compromise

personally i like the idea of teaching as a start and then building a side business as electrician (or maybe something more around it -> contractor?)

i agree about regina.... nothing happens there (my mum lives there)... i'm from saskatoon.

unemployment is low and going down, house prices are up and increasing...

saskatchewan has recently discovered: gold(?), diamonds, oil etc and of all the economies in north america, it is BOOMING! i've NEVER seen so many "help wanted" signs. in some of the small towns, they are paying $20/hour for people to work in the donut shops!

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Absolute bullshit. You obviously have nothing more to add to this than your own personal comments about money. Anyone worth their salt can come and make a life in HK if they really wanted to. As someone who did come here with nothing after marrying a HK girl I built up my own life. It can be done, and you know what? It's brilliant. Hard work but ultimately more than worth it. Unfortunately there are people like you around who are unable to do anything unless it's laid out on a plate in front of you. Now to quote an absolute muppet "case closed".
    No I always plan out what I am doing. I will not just free style my life and career. It's your prerogative if you want to live life on the edge. I like to know what I am in for and if it's worthwhile for me to implant myself in a foreign country. I always lay my plans out with cons and pros. Then figure out if it's worthwhile. The only bullshit I hear is from you, that likes to backpack your way in life and roll the dice. The OP is not asking to roll the dice. The OP's BF wants to know if it is worthwhile for him to move to HK otherwise he won't bother and also will not marry the OP. That doesn't sound like the BF wants to take a gamble. Now the case is closed on you and your ignorance.

And that is quite simply where we differ. It's nothing to do with freestyling or backpacking - it's all about strength, optimism and self belief. If you believe you can then you will. If you want something enough then you can get it.

If not then carry on being part of the ignorant sheeple and carry on counting the peas on your plate.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    And that is quite simply where we differ. It's nothing to do with freestyling or backpacking - it's all about strength, optimism and self belief. If you believe you can then you will. If you want something enough then you can get it.

If not then carry on being part of the ignorant sheeple and carry on counting the peas on your plate.
    If the OP's bf has the same fantasies as you then she wouldn't be here asking for advice on her dilemma. Keep dreaming on your fantasies and so called beliefs. Maybe you like to hear it but that is not what The OP's bf wants to hear.

Of course I dream, I sleep well. Fantasies! Isn't that longhand for Fear in the sheeple?

Skyhook likes this.

Jaykay is absolutely correct. Self belief, optimism and a can-do attitude are everything. Sure, one should spec out the lay of the land. But that's just to figure out which bits you will have to work harder to overcome, it's a pathetic excuse to not bother in the first place.

If I had done a SWOT analysis on every career move I made, I'd still be stuck in the UK doing a safe boring job, probably with a heck of a lot less money than I do now and none of the great life experiences. And lets face it, LIFE is what it's all about. Might as well actually live it.

Fiona in HKG, carang and jaykay like this.

so what's the end result of this saga 6 months later???
    What did OP choose to do?
    I'm definitely interested because I find myself in a similar situation as OP now -- but with an additional factor theat we are expecting a baby (!)
    so he deinitely needs to get some sort of reliable income and not the uncertainty that he is facing in the US too...
    updates please OP !

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8